PDA

View Full Version : Trade insurance?

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 03:42 PM
you cant get road tax without insurance documents can you? nobody is currently insured on my nova and it has no tax, its off the road. can a person with trade insurance buy the road tax for it? thanks

L14MNP
13-10-08, 04:07 PM
I'm sure you can tax with a traders policy, but has it got a valid MOT?

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 04:33 PM
Yeah you can tax a car with a traders policy as long as it has MOT. I used to use my works certificate when i changed cars quicker than birds back in the day!

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 05:31 PM
thanks alot, and yeah it has a MOT

Brodie_Sri
13-10-08, 05:40 PM
I used to use my works certificate when i changed cars quicker than birds back in the day!

i have a mate like that lol

General Baxter
13-10-08, 05:40 PM
why tax it you dont even have a licence waste of £100odd

L33 LEG
13-10-08, 06:05 PM
yes you can use a traders cert to tax cars, however some post offices wont do it as they like to be a pain in the ****.

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 06:40 PM
im getting my mum insured on it and taxed so that my mates with fully comp insurance can drive it. all legal like ;)

General Baxter
13-10-08, 06:43 PM
how olds is your mate, 90% of insurance companys dont do drive other cars now,

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 07:43 PM
I'm guessing your mate is 17. He will not be insured to drive any car TPFT IMO. Most places make you wait until 21.

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 08:24 PM
my mates are about 21 - 25 who would be driving it

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 08:26 PM
So your going to tax and insure the car (money out your own pocket), which you cant drive, so your mates can drive it??!! Dont they have cars of their own?

Mattman
13-10-08, 08:37 PM
who's the registered keeper of the car mate?

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 09:52 PM
i am registered keeper, and i am goin to get my mum insured on it which will cost something silly like £20 a month. its worth it, im not legal to drive it so i might as well get some other people to?

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 10:01 PM
lol, why? What happens when they bin it? Its in your name (your under age) your mum is insured.... can of worms IMO.

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 10:02 PM
because otherwise the car will just be sitting there doing nothing :roll:

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 10:03 PM
So why the fcuk did you buy it??!! lol

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 10:22 PM
because :confused:

Pistol Pete
13-10-08, 10:26 PM
Because?? What sort of an answer is that?! lol

NovaBoi92
13-10-08, 10:31 PM
:p

Mattman
14-10-08, 12:16 PM
The insurance HAS to be in your name with your mum as named driver if you are the registered keeper, if you are under the driving age you WILL NOT be able to insure the vehicle in your name.

The car must be insured by the registered keeper otherwise it is not valid.

Another point tho, once the car is fully taxed/mot'd then your mates with driving other cars extension will be able to drive it without you having to insure is yourself PROVIDING:

They are always behind the wheel and don't leave it on a public road or area with no one (the insured friend) behind the wheel. So as long as they have adequate insurance and always get out from behind the wheel on private land then it will be fine.

Hope this helps.

NovaBoi92
14-10-08, 12:17 PM
thanks alot mate yes this helps alot. :) nice one

Mattman
14-10-08, 12:23 PM
Oh yeah heres the DOC defiinition for the company I work for

What is driving other cars extension?

Driving other cars (DOC) extension allows the policyholder to drive other cars that do not belong to them or are not hired to them under a hire purchase or lease agreement
Policyholders using this cover are covered Third Party Only
DOC cover is only applicable in the British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man)
The policyholder will only be covered to drive other Cars, they are not able to ride Motorcycles under this extension
Cars that are driven by the Policyholder under DOC are not required to be insured elsewhere. However, DOC only insures the vehicle while it is being driven. If the vehicle is parked in a public area it is effectively uninsured

Spudly
14-10-08, 12:53 PM
Which company do you work for bud as i was told that doc cover doesnt exist anymore?

Mattman
14-10-08, 02:19 PM
Norwich Union mate, I know of other companies that have it on their policies as standard at the moment too and others that will do it at a fee. Most will only provide for drivers over 25 tho.

Spudly
14-10-08, 02:29 PM
Do they cover modified cars though as im paying stupid amounts (700+) tpft on a cav diesel with full GSi/diplomat kit/spec, cat1 alarm/immob and garaged.

Shouldnt be paying that @ 27 with 3 years no claims (had more but fell out with H.I.C.)lol

Jack
14-10-08, 10:51 PM
Sky provides DOC to over 25, I have it on my policy without asking for it.

I'm pretty sure they require the other car to have insurance of its own though.

ck
20-10-08, 03:44 PM
yeah most companys now have changed so that yo have to be 25 or over to drive another car third party on the same policy.

there is the few exceptions where a company will still allow it with people under the age of 25. obviously have to make sure that it states it on the policy.

you technically dont have to have your car insured (depends if it states it on your friends policy) but legaly they have to be sat in front of the steering wheel at all times, if they want to get out they will have to park off the road i.e a drive.

i'm with www.roadrunnerinsurance.co.uk and yes you can tax any car providing you have at least the grene slip of the v5 (new keepers supliment) and a valid MOT