PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful Nova engine....EVER!!!!?

CP
29-10-02, 10:36 PM
So what do people think could be the most powerful Nova engine ever and what horsepower could it produce?

If its feasible i might just try and make it.......

There is a catch though, its got to be made from standard unaltered Nova engine components so no bunging in 2.0l Turbos allowed! By standard engine components I mean unaltered std Nova blocks and internals, heads, cams , flywheels, clutch and transmission, induction and fuelling systems.
Non standard stuff allowed = zorst (systems only) and ancilliary pipework/wiring.
The rule is basically if aint on some Nova somewhere as bona fide standard engine component as fitted by the factory then it aint allowed.

:?:

Fester
30-10-02, 12:05 AM
is this a trick question?

have u got a build already sussed out but just seein if anyone can come up with anythin that hasnt been considered?

good proposition, am definitely interested in knowing the spec of the final build of this!

Aragorn
30-10-02, 08:26 AM
1.6GSi lump with 40's

the 40's are valid since they were on the nova sport

without allowing any mods at all that arent from the nova you are limiting yourself quite a bit

the only other option i could think of is a turbo from one of the nova desiels and the standard injection system on a 1.6GSi

adding NOS to either of thise could gave a nice power increase but since its not standard u cant do it

CP
30-10-02, 08:29 AM
No its not a trick question - just summink for those mechanically minded to mull over on the loooong cooold winters nights lol! It struck me that cos its possible to swap so many things about between the various engines as well as the gear clusters and final drives, there must be an ultimate build?

I do have summink in mind but I was interested to see what others could come up with.

I think the rules would have to bent a little to allow to allow stuff to be bolted together - adapter plates basically.

Jim
30-10-02, 09:24 AM
I'm about as mechanically minded as a snail :roll:

However, I have heard that the 1.4 head is pretty nasty, I'm not sure what the 1.6 head is like in comaprison, but alot of people seem to like the 1.2 and 1.3 heads because they have been machined better. I assume this would be one of the pieces of the jigsaw that would be added to the engine?

Also, with the gearing, wouldn't it depend on what the car is going to be used for? I'm not sure how much diference there is with the Nova gear boxes, but I'm sure each one has it's advantages and disadvantages depending on how it's used.

Jim

Aragorn
30-10-02, 11:15 AM
prolly a totally wazzed out idea but how similar are the mechanics of the diesil engines to petrol ones?

could u like take the pistons from the 1.7TD and futz about and end up with a 1.7 petrol?

f00k knows sounds stupid but it might have some sense to it

Chris_W
30-10-02, 01:16 PM
I think the rules would have to bent a little to allow to allow stuff to be bolted together - adapter plates basically.

How about bodging a diesel turbo onto somekind of low compression hybrid nova engine?

Chris

CP
30-10-02, 02:12 PM
Lol! I cant lose at this can I :lol: All I've got to do is to sit around and wait for you lot to sort it all out and then pretend to be really old and wise and steal the best ideas :lol:
Bit like Captain Mainwaring "*cough* er, ah yes... er well done Wilson, I was waiting to see who would suggest that first *cough*" :P

Stuart
30-10-02, 08:25 PM
ah well if adaptor plates are allowed, and a certain ammount of machingin on the bottom end, a V8 from two 1.6 engines ;) lol with ONE pieburg 1B1 carb hee hee

due to certain gudgeon pin diameters it kind of limits you if you cant make basic use of the milling machine

dan16v
30-10-02, 09:43 PM
mine would be sumthing like this.....
gsi engine with std gear box using the turbo deisel final drive ratio if i could alter the gm components then id polish and port the head and use the twin 40s as said above! could i also skin the head to high hell for compresion?

Jim
31-10-02, 09:11 AM
I like cambridges idea of twin engines...is this allowed?

Jim

MattNovaTD
31-10-02, 01:59 PM
The TD turbo is capable of pushing 13psi max so it's not gonna be a bad idea. Mine run's at 9-10psi standard but It will be adjustable shortly running between 0 and 13psi (safely).

By the way, just taking off the pipe to the actuator won't make the slightest difference on the TD engine, there's more to it than that... 8)

wisewood
31-10-02, 05:33 PM
seems to me you took that a bit personally Micky - something we should know about you and your love affair with the TD engine? :D

d0gz_bollox
31-10-02, 06:06 PM
has this car gotta be road legal? I assume so.

lighten it
======
use a model with a smaller engine to start with (i.e. the one with lighter shell, non 1.6, 1.4sri, td)

strip it out. I take it you cant use bucket seats (non standard) so either use a lower spec model seats (lighter but no support) or rip most of the seat stuffing out.

nova vans have no glass in the back, so out goes your rear glass, weld in some lightweight metal. comes from vauxahll like that, so thats fine. maybe do same to rear window?

shut front windows and glue the buggers in. remove all window winding equipment.

remove wiring that isnt neaded.remove heater matrix and rear rear wiper.
remove rear clusters and replace with coloured film (lighter), silicant sealent should make it waterproof
only need to open drivers side door for mot yes? remove all locks, handles etc from passenger door, weld/bolt door shut. remove bits of metal.

hmm those are me more extravangent weight loss things, laods more but cant be arsed to mention.

oh by by dash, just clocks

engine work
=======
did you say the twin 40's where allowed?

1.6 gte engine, F13 gear box.

hmmm cav clutch plate will fit in that and thats a lil' bit bigger then nova one, bigger clutch plate is always a good thing.

we put 1.4Sri head onto 1.6 engine. compression was really high (too high), but the block was bored out and head skimmed. pinked but we couldnt adjust fueling/igniton cuz of fixed dizzy and crappy 1.4sri ecu. with '40s might not be a problem. but them again if kept injection im sure you could hack ecu. that would of shifted. lol

quick shift? against the rules to make one?

smaller/ lighter driveshafts?

get rid of that alternator, lol. will free up a bit of engine strain. ooh can get rid of alternator pulley too. does that help keep crank momentum, dunno who cares im just spitting ideas out. lol

hmm who needs a battery either. lol.

dont use oil. my mate reckons his SR always went faster when he had no oil in it. who am i to argue.

slap in the 1.3 Dturbo that does 150mph or whatever from the vx220 thing them claim it as a 1.3 SR

dan16v
31-10-02, 06:11 PM
the sri head should make no difference as its the same as a late spec dis gsi engine c16se my m8 has a sri head on his gsi!

benji
31-10-02, 06:49 PM
most of that stuff dogs said will not make it more powerful(on the dyno)
how about lose the alternator, i think i read someware the 1.6 head on a 1.4 block would raise the comp. ratio enough to run a turbo. i might be wrong??

CP
31-10-02, 07:50 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway great minds think alike (or is it fools seldom differ? lol!) Wotever, the basic idea that I am mulling over (following some heavy duty work on the calculator by MC) is to use a 1.4 Block with a 1.6 head and induction being blown thru by the 1.5TD turbo.
My son tried to fit a 1.4 (Blydenstein head) onto a 1.6 which after a lot of head scratching we actually got to run but not turn off lol! We realised eventually that we had raised the compression ratio to sumthing over 12:1. This got us to thinking that the reverse should be true and on paper it should lower the compression ratio down to 8-9:1 - ideal to run a turbo on relatively high boost without melting the pistons.
I'm not sure about the ability of the std injectors and ECU to deliver enough fuel or how to get the turbo to run best. However if it came to pass i think more power could be got out of it than modding a naturally aspirated 1.6 cos it neatly side steps poor airflow thru std items?

Dave_Hay
31-10-02, 08:17 PM
that would be a cool idea if it worked. youd have loads of fuel pressure probs tho so would need injectors off another vaux id say. im sure gsi injectors r best ones in nova and theyll give out a shitty cc/m^2 or whatever units they use. not much cope if u plan on running high boost on a johnyed comp ratio.

dave hay tuning also predicts the engine will go pop quicker than it would take to build.

u could just get a 1litre nova and let ged drive it tho. no1 would beat that.

d0gz_bollox
31-10-02, 10:06 PM
most of that stuff dogs said will not make it more powerful(on the dyno)

hmmmm im sure i posted a reply to "the fastest nova" thread. hmmm must be my flu making me see things.

The 1.4SRi head is different to the 1.6 GTE head (dunno bout the GSi one, or if they differ). the valves are the same diameter, yes (not interchangable so dont try) but there is just a loads smaller recess (probably the wrong word to use, basically space where the valves open up into) compared to the 1.6, hence why (to there reckoning anyway) my engine had a est compression ratio of 13 - 14:1 and compression test (saw this) went of the scale (250psi) oh and it blew up within 50 miles :( saying that our scaled down version got to the bottom of my street before the piston ring went :( lesson to be learnt. never trust dodgy backstreet mechanics who promise you the world. just slap a valver in instead.

if your after power on the rollers, changing wheel/tyre size should give an increase then wont it?

carltoncrazy
31-10-02, 10:13 PM
the TD engine is a gd 1
and tune it,the emassment wen the guy at the lights gets beaten by a desiel is.......you can put a price on it

dave.gsi
02-11-02, 04:33 PM
i reckon twin engines, one in the boot, one under the bonnet, twin 40's and away u go. :D

oh, must be fitted as standard to a nova? does that mean vauxhall nova cos theres some pretty fast american novas (chevy or sumthing me thinks??) just a thought :roll: :lol:

Fester
02-11-02, 05:15 PM
http://pub83.ezboard.com/fteamswiftfrm6

check this out. suzuki swift board, this is the forced induction section. theres all sorts of solutions to fuelling.

its also where i stole my new avatar from