PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between GTE and standared shell?

bsa_man
12-10-08, 07:55 PM
Hi there, Rolled My GTE some time ago and recently I managed to get my hands on a good Mk 2 shell to use for a reshell. I know that I'll have to change the front panel, wings and the plates on top of the struts over, but is there anything else that's not immediately obvious. I'm going to stick to keeping it original and restore everything as I go along.

RSTChris
12-10-08, 07:57 PM
Front panel is same

just vaux trev
12-10-08, 07:58 PM
why front panel? they are the same only cosmetic stuff bud as you mentioned wings lights ect chassis numbers on the floor too

bsa_man
12-10-08, 08:21 PM
ust thought the panel would be different with the headlamp size being changed from th Mk1 to Mk2. If they're the same then all the better! Thanks for all the info by the way

Leeboo
12-10-08, 09:21 PM
IIRC GTE/GSi 's had slightly thicker metal used in the engine bay at manufacture, but I wouldn't worry about that as the difference wouldn't be worth talking about.

bsa_man
12-10-08, 10:56 PM
Cheers leebo, remember hearing one time that the chassis legs were stronger in them or something. got my hands on a pretty mint Nova life that I'll be using. Only 36K miles on it, nearly a shame to be taking it apart but have fond memories of the GTE and want to get it back on the road. I'm from N. Ireland too, seem to be a lot of Nova lovers over here

ck
13-10-08, 05:47 AM
yes chassis on the 1600 nova's (gsi/gte) are different. if re-shelling then there are some obvious differences between a mk1 and mk2 shell so best stick to the same type..

Leeboo
13-10-08, 02:24 PM
Cheers leebo, remember hearing one time that the chassis legs were stronger in them or something. got my hands on a pretty mint Nova life that I'll be using. Only 36K miles on it, nearly a shame to be taking it apart but have fond memories of the GTE and want to get it back on the road. I'm from N. Ireland too, seem to be a lot of Nova lovers over here

No probs, where you from roughly?

bsa_man
13-10-08, 07:04 PM
From Cookstown direction. Anyone any Ideas where I'd get the proper shell?

krobinson
13-10-08, 07:05 PM
Loads of good shells left, you just need to be patient. Welcome to PNG :)

bsa_man
13-10-08, 07:23 PM
Thanks, If you come across a shell locally, preferably a GTE or similar with the sun roof, I could sell on the MK2 that I have etc.

Rallyslag3
14-10-08, 11:17 PM
every gte had a sun
roof!

Leeboo
14-10-08, 11:45 PM
Cookstown, not too far away really.

Why not just use the mk2 shell? I'm not trying to be smart, just thinking its going to be damn hard to find a good GTE shell, I'm sure you would be doing a bare shell build anyway? Don't think the chassis differences would be vital, sure you will be strengthening it with turret plates etc anyway?

Good luck anyway!

bsa_man
15-10-08, 07:06 PM
know what you mean, its just when I'm going to all that trouble that if i could get the right shell i'd wait for it. The mk2 shell doesn't have a sun roof either. Kind of want to make it as original as possible as don't think i'll ever be selling it.

mowgli
15-10-08, 10:18 PM
the gte had the front & rear suspension mounts beefed up.

bsa_man
17-10-08, 01:35 AM
cheers mowgli. if any of yous come across a good shell will you let me know?

RSTChris
18-10-08, 08:19 AM
I have a mint GTE shell non sunroof!

bsa_man
18-10-08, 03:20 PM
I'd imagine it'd be a far stronger shell without the sunroof. I only want to put a shell on with the sunroof for the sake of originality.

RSTChris
18-10-08, 04:30 PM
Mines now sold :(