PDA

View Full Version : Car Cut Out and Erratic Revs

salter
12-10-08, 07:18 PM
Not sure if this is in the right section but any ideas what this could be please.

I was driving down the road and the rev counter went beserk and the car cut out. Tried to re-start and it was turning but wouldn't fire, have checked all the leads and it started again but once you move the rev counter goes beserk and cuts out! Sometimes it starts other times it just turns over...if it starts the car seems to tick over ok.

Thanks

General Baxter
12-10-08, 07:19 PM
engine ?
mods ?

salter
12-10-08, 07:25 PM
engine ?
mods ?

Sorry 1.3 sport.

Royston
12-10-08, 07:49 PM
Sounds like ignition fault

Coil or distributor breaking down under load/revs

Not got damp?

Novasport
12-10-08, 08:00 PM
Ignition module maybe? The one in the dizzy.

salter
12-10-08, 08:24 PM
Sounds like ignition fault

Coil or distributor breaking down under load/revs

Not got damp?

Cheers for the reply. It seemed dry enough but I do give the leads a good spray of wd40 to keep the moisture out but its had a good wash today! I had drove about 3 miles before it cut out. The breakdown services were trying to say fuel starvation but I think your right with the coil/dizzy related.

Just tried starting and it fired first time, went to pull off the drive and it cut out straight away, it just goes dead like you turned the ignition off!

Thanks

salter
12-10-08, 08:26 PM
Ignition module maybe? The one in the dizzy.

Cheers for the reply, its a new dizzy around 6 months ago but I will have a look tomorrow just incase, thanks

General Baxter
12-10-08, 08:28 PM
twin 40's when were they last serviced / retuned ?

salter
12-10-08, 08:41 PM
twin 40's when were they last serviced / retuned ?

They were tuned about 3/4 months ago. Not been serviced for a while though.

Cheers

salter
13-10-08, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the help, first thing I tried today was the ignition module off my old dizzy and problem solved! Now running perfect again, thanks:thumb:

Can't believe that one part could cause so much trouble!