PDA

View Full Version : Astra 1.6 GTE lump

ade
29-10-02, 03:55 PM
Hi guys,

Need you advice...

A m8 of mine knows an ex vauxhall mechanic whos set up his own highly reputable garage. I'm looking for a bigger engine in my mk 1.2 (my current engines smoking a little - valves are on the way out I think).

Anyway - hes offered my a reconditioned 1.6 astra gte engine (apparantly its carb not injection!) with gearbox and ancillaries for ?60 and will fit it for only ?150!!!

Can I ask -

- will this engine fit into a mk2 1.2 (cars lowered on gmax springs n dampers, with anti roll bars).
- what else is needed? he says the ?150 should cover any "extras" - what kind of extras can I expect (drive shafts etc)
- is it orth it (daft wuestion I know but I dont want to do the work if its going to cause me probs in the future work wise)

Cheers

Ade
:wink:

Matt Finary
29-10-02, 04:15 PM
Vauxhall never made a Astra 1.6 GTE. They were 1.8 8v(mark1) 2.0 8v(mark 2) and 2.0 16v(later mark2).
If it's a Astra SR engine it's a big block and would have the same work as putting in a 2litre.
If it's a Astra 1.6 carb small block engine from something like a GL, it would be like putting in a nova GTE engine, but I don't think they are that powerful something like 84bhp.

Matt

mikeoxford
29-10-02, 11:24 PM
just to stick my 2p worth in

i have seen a carbed 1.6 engine - lol as standard they run a very similar if not the same pierburg carb as 1.3s!!! they look the same to me!

LOL

anyway - as for the money like, i would consider what your plans are for the car ade.

if you think afterwards you might wanna go even further then obviously itd be cheaper in the long run to do something else.

without wanting to get beaten with a big stick, there is a very strong argument around at the moment, to go for a 1.6 16v RATHER than something like a big block 2 litre.

the 1.6 16v is VERY tuneable "apparently" - and because its lighter than the 2ltr it keeps the "nova" handling and no chassis work or lower tie bars etc etc need doin - straight swap.

although before i die i wanna do the 2ltr! its one of tyhose things that has to be done really isnt it!? muhahaha :twisted: :twisted:

however

there is an argument for the 1.6 16v on this page......

http://www.pngregion4.co.uk/page12.html

Aragorn
30-10-02, 07:55 AM
u should be able to find a proper nova gte lump for a little more dough and take advantage of the ?150 fitting :)

either that or the 1.6 16v which will cost a damn sight more that the others since its newer but should be about the same amount of work to install as a GTE engine