PDA

View Full Version : XE Cambelt Cover Cutting

MARTIN KELSON
12-10-08, 02:07 PM
Hi

When car comes off the road at the end of the month i'am thinking of engine out for a bay freshen up and engine freshen & possible swap to throttle boddies.

What i'am after is possibly cutting two holes in cambelt cover to show vernier pulleys like picture below.
Anybody done this before that can offer advice on how is best way to tackle this.
Not sure if a 100mm approx holesaw is the way to go. Any advice appreciated.

Not sure who's car this is and hope they dont mind me using the picture.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/NOVAMARTIN16V/DSC02048.jpg

Martin

paul james
12-10-08, 02:54 PM
I had to cut a whole in my engines cover just so the vernier would fit inside. Used a drill to make some holes to start it off, then used a small saw to make a rough circle, then sanded it down to a smooth circle.

Nick J
12-10-08, 07:27 PM
I had to cut a whole in my engines cover just so the vernier would fit inside. Used a drill to make some holes to start it off, then used a small saw to make a rough circle, then sanded it down to a smooth circle.

Knowing Martins car Id imagine he's after some concrete advice in to how to make a very very accurate job...... Ive been after the same for some time now so Id also appreciate any hints or wouldnt actually mind paying someone who could make a top job of it via laser cutting/machining etc.... Anyone? :)

MARTIN KELSON
12-10-08, 08:10 PM
Knowing Martins car Id imagine he's after some concrete advice in to how to make a very very accurate job...... Ive been after the same for some time now so Id also appreciate any hints or wouldnt actually mind paying someone who could make a top job of it via laser cutting/machining etc.... Anyone? :)

Yea it would have to be perfect circles!!

I also dont mind paying for a top notch job.
Will have a go myself else of give the task to the guy doing the engine.

Martin

Nick J
12-10-08, 08:19 PM
I'll have a word with a friend of mine who has access to a laser cutter and see if its something we could have done unsure if its possible due to the material etc but Its worth asking etc. Let me know how you get on If you do find someone who will give it a go etc :)

Martin
12-10-08, 08:21 PM
ives got a spare CB cover if u want it nick?

Benn
12-10-08, 08:23 PM
Use a template to get the circles perfects, then use a router to cut the holes and afile to finish the edges. Or a big hole saw...

Nick J
12-10-08, 08:36 PM
ives got a spare CB cover if u want it nick?

Thanks mate! however I have a few spares already! Id like to try on the standard item before cutting up the carbon one! :)

Martin
12-10-08, 08:37 PM
No probs fella, just tryin gto get rid o fmy needless parts(well tbh i dotn need anyof them no the novas gone lol)

craig green
12-10-08, 10:34 PM
Mark the hole centres exactly over the cam centres & its a win. Crap ones always blatantly look off centre. Laser cut ones would enable a run or group-buy set could be easily done.