PDA

View Full Version : I NEED SOME HELP!!! :(

bob
29-10-02, 09:58 AM
Alrite peeps,as you will all know,my cars not running at the moment :( I have tried replacing the coil,it fires a lil better,but when u leave it to tick over,its lumpy,and if u rev it a few times,the revs just drop,no mata if u pump the loud pedal or not,and the car cuts out and wont start again,then after leaving it for a while,when it did start it was firing on 3,and did the same,then the same on 2! ARGH! think coil may be screwed,or the amplifier or woteva the leccy bit is on the base,any ideas how much a new one of these coils and modules is? or would my carb be screwed?(car is a 1400SR on 2e3 carb)

Doc
29-10-02, 11:17 AM
BOB Chill mate, calm down and listen. The little flat box under the coil is called the ignition amplifier. It is probable that is whats causing you so much grief. Dont take the new coil back to the shop, keep it in the car. Then get yourself down the scrappers and check out all injection engined novas, if no joy, then go check out the injection astras and caveliers. Take youramplifer with you, and make sure the one you bring home (free of course) is identical, also check the codes on the amplifier match yours. Then take it home plug it in and off you go. Alternatively you can get a brand new one from your local motorspares place for ?30. If you do go for a new one make sure you look it at b4 you leave the shop. When i got mine i had a look at the new one listed for my car and it was nothing like mine, however the good bloke in the shop just let me look through his catalogue which had pics of all those he stocked until i found the one that matched mine. In the end it turned out to be one for a cav, but the size/shape and codes were the same so i had it. I had previously fitted a new coil and i still had problems, when i fitted the new amplifier it solved my prob. Then just to see if i actually needed the new coil i put my old coil back on with my new amplifer and the car wouldnt start. Therefore my coil and amplifier had gone at the same time and i did need both new parts!
As a last resort u could get a new amplifer from vauxhall for about a ?1000 going on vauxhalls parts prices. Good luck ;)

bob
29-10-02, 07:44 PM
ok sounds good mate,will try get down the breakers tomoro,on pushbike(!) the car has started twice since Ive been having problems,but it still dies down,say u rev it to bring the autochoke into play a lil,it revs,and then drops,even if u try revving more-will defo give this a try though.My car is carbed,how come the injection ones seem to be the ones to go for?

cornish
30-10-02, 03:03 PM
Have you tried re-timing it up?