PDA

View Full Version : GSi 16v Brakes

Anonymous
09-11-00, 03:25 PM
I've heard that the conversion I'm about to do aint as simple as I thought. I'm gonna put some Astra GSi callipers + discs on. I just heard that I need to strenthen the front end of my SR if there goin on!! Is this neccessary as I only have 14" alloys with 185/60 rubber. I do have anti-roll bars. Is their somethin else i'm supposed to do, and if so wot + how much? Thanx

Anonymous
09-11-00, 03:46 PM
Where did you hear that load of crap. I have just put Cavalier 2.0l 16v discs and callipers (which are the same as the Astra ones) on my 1.4SR. It a piece of piss, the only problem you might have is with the size of the discs and your 14inch wheels, sometimes you might get a bit of a knocking sound coz the discs are too big to fit inside the alloy. You need do nothing else to your baby except brake that crucial few seconds later than usual as you cane towards the end of the road!!!!! Be carefull in the wet with em though coz they lock up really easily and you can skid very nicely, you have been warned.

Anonymous
09-11-00, 03:59 PM
The brakes fit under most 14" wheels, but they dont fit under the Nova GTE/GSI three spokes! The strengthening you hve heard about is only needed if the chassis is in a bad way to start with. What can happen is the front crossmeber (big square section under radiator)can crack and break away from where it joins to the front chassis legs at each end. This is because all the acceleration and breaking forces pass through this joint, the best thing is to examine the welds and area for any corrosion or cracking and get it well plated up if there is a problem. If it is ok some seem welding wouldn't hurt, but it's not essential. The brakes must make the situation worse if it is already going because you are suddenly braking harder putting more load through the joint. Cheers paul.

Anonymous
10-11-00, 09:20 AM
Actually Damian it is very true, I know this because mine is 100% shagged. It is within a nats dick of snapping.

I was driving along last night with me bird and all I can here is the sound of metal tearing apart, so I got a torch an took a look. Every thing looked fine till I see a split in the cross member over a centimetre wide.

I have had a quote for a new one from nova tech for between ?250-?300, just what I wanted before xmas.

Anonymous
10-11-00, 11:04 AM
Wot is a cross member? Is it part of a wheel or part of the mounting for the brakes/wheels?

Anonymous
10-11-00, 11:13 AM
na the bit between the wings that runs under the radiator.

Anonymous
10-11-00, 03:38 PM
o Shit. Do they need strenghthening? I could get my dad to fibreglass some high strength carbon fibre struts on em. Light + stong!!! I'm trying to get him to make me a Carbon fibre/epoxy resin coated strut brace!!

Anonymous
10-11-00, 04:04 PM
If you could, I would, or it could cost you shit loads.

Anonymous
11-11-00, 11:44 AM
does any one know wheather the 16V brakes will fit under my GTE 14" steel wheels, cos the have wider tyres than GTE 3-spoke alloys

Anonymous
11-11-00, 11:58 AM
Pwaulo, they should fit.

Anonymous
11-11-00, 04:05 PM
fucking hell!!! i have just read this page and read damions reply

u will here a knocking sound on your 14" wheels but it will be okay coz u can just brake later???

fuck me dont know if u all belive this shit but i say if u dont have the common sense to do a job on your brakes properlly then u dont deserve to live

if in doubt take your car to sumone that knows what there doing espesh with brakes!

i dread to think i really do

how can the discs not fit inside the wheel? if anything it would be the calliper that cuaght as it sits on the outer edge ov the disc

have i missed sumthing here or is this lad crazy as fuck?

Anonymous
11-11-00, 04:07 PM
also my replacement crossmeber was only ?65 and i paid ?70 to get it welded on

(this was a bity cheaper as i stripped the wings/headlights/bumper etc etc off before hand)