PDA

View Full Version : wiring problem

Crayon
10-10-08, 09:34 PM
Can some one please help?
I got a K- plate 1.2 which i dont belive has the original engine in it anyway, the ecu and choke light come on after about 20 mins of driving and will sometimes go back off, also my petrol needle is always showing full please help its really annoying.
Thanks Jamie

Clean 2.0 nova
12-10-08, 08:18 PM
Fuel level is probably fuel tank level sensor AKA fuel sender. Can't comment on other fault but wouldn't of thought there is an ECU on your car so the light is actually indicating that the engine has stalled????

Iain

AlexW
12-10-08, 09:12 PM
It cant have both, a choke and a ecu. On the blukhead is there a plug that has lots of holes for pins but only 4 (Iirc) pins, And another that says 95?

Crayon
15-10-08, 09:50 PM
Right i have reversed the fuel sender wires and it is the same, so i am thinking that the sender may be fitted up side down, will try when i`ve used most of the petrol and had a chance to pull it out and have a look.
As for the dash light the 2 that come on while driving is the orange one with a pic of an engine and the orange one with what looks like a fan inside it.

DAN-F
17-10-08, 11:44 AM
ive had the fuel gause prob few years back, in mine it was actually the gauge that was knackered,

Jack
17-10-08, 12:08 PM
It cant have both, a choke and a ecu.
Errr, yes it can? Unless you're thinking of manual choke.

Its possible the wires from the sender in the tank have worn, happened on my celica and the gauge read up to max.

Crayon
17-10-08, 01:20 PM
Right a quick update, i have removed the fuel gauge and when i turn it upside down the needle go`s down. the gauge is working but it just seems to be reversed.
Is it possable that it is the wrong gauge fitted in the tank?

DAN-F
17-10-08, 02:49 PM
mine would go up and down, it would just be up over full as soon as the ing was turned on i was ages fiddling trying to work out what was wrong, changing senders over and checking wiring, until a mate suggested trying different clocks. changed the clocks and all was fine again,
have you traced back the wiring maybe it could have worn through the plastic coating somewhere

Crayon
18-10-08, 10:38 AM
I know that the clocks have been changed there is sr clocks in the car and it is only a 1.2.
Like i said the gauge is all working fine just in reverse.

Jack
18-10-08, 02:16 PM
I would have said reverse the wires, but you've done that and its the same... hmmm.

Spudly
21-10-08, 10:06 AM
I had the problem a few years back that the resistor in the fuel tank was different to that of the one in the clocks (specifically on the back of the fuel guage) no matter what you did as soon as the ignition was on it shot to full as there was not enough reistance to hold it where it should be.
You need the resistor from the back of the guage in a 1.2 set of clocks if this is the problem, its fiddly but not hard to do.
Ive got a 1.3SR clock set and a 1.2 set at home so ill post pics later to illustrate what i was shown.

As for the twin lights im guessing yours is the same problem as here>>> http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106714&highlight=lights

Look for my reply in there should clear things up for you!

Crayon
21-10-08, 12:13 PM
Ok thanks m8 i will try a different set of clocks just to confirm it works, my m8 has 1.2 clocks.
and will look at the ecu lights

Spudly
21-10-08, 08:00 PM
If it is the clocks the spot on, but if you want to try swapping the resistor over give me a shout and ill throw up a picture or two to show what i mean:thumb:

Crayon
03-11-08, 03:22 PM
Hi SRspudly m8 i have tried to change the clocks but the ones my m8 give me have different plug fittings, if you can tell me where to get the resister from that would be great i can see the one on the back of my clocks if you could post up the pics that would be great.

Also i have done the ecu reading test and it is coming up as 13 Oxygen sensor No change in voltage/open circuit ???????????????
but my car does not have one fitted in the exhaust??????????????????????????????????????????