PDA

View Full Version : M.o.t

hc coupe
10-10-08, 03:33 PM
Right so I have got my MOT booked this weekend,my car is insured and it should pass,however my car is currently SORN and I have no TAX.

But its ok to drive there if you have TAX.But you can't get TAX without a MOT,

But its ok because you can get a mate to tow you,No you can't use a tow rope anymore !!!

WTF do i need to do to get my car to a test center !!! Leave early and wing it or what !!!

Jonezy
10-10-08, 03:37 PM
Well I took my Nova rally car for its test today without any tax & it being SORN. Cops just went straight past us. So I think you will be alright. But others may know more than me!

hc coupe
10-10-08, 03:39 PM
/\/\ yeah, i'd rather be on the safe side and do it right,they just make it so bloooooming hard.

pikey1986
10-10-08, 03:40 PM
from what ive been told the cops give you a couple of days grace to get everything sorted

Pistol Pete
10-10-08, 03:44 PM
You can drive to a prebooked MOT with no tax AFAIK. Because as you say you cannot get tax without a valid MOT. I will be doing this next next friday lol

General Baxter
10-10-08, 03:45 PM
if the cars booked into the centre for mot,

you allowed to drive it there WITHOUT tax
but it has to be insured

hc coupe
10-10-08, 03:46 PM
Its been sorn.They know Ive had enought time to sort it out.

Thanks still.

Dont want to call you pikey so will settle for 1986 lol

loggyboy
10-10-08, 03:46 PM
You can drive to a prebooked MOT with no tax AFAIK. Because as you say you cannot get tax without a valid MOT. I will be doing this next next friday lol

100% correcct

hc coupe
10-10-08, 03:47 PM
Oh well i'l just have too see. May even call the local police and let them know.

Shaun_O'Donnell
if the cars booked into the centre for mot,

you allowed to drive it there WITHOUT tax
but it has to be insured

Yup, exactly what I done after the saloon was finished, had no bother.

Pistol Pete
This is the only time you can drive with not tax. No need to notify the police lol You will need to return home and walk/ride/whatever to get your tax BTW. Or if its not urgent do it online. Sorry if thats teaching your granny to suck eggs! lol

General Baxter
10-10-08, 03:48 PM
Yup, exactly what I done after the saloon was finished, had no bother.

and me, got it home on a trailer, replaced the exhaust, insured it, booked it in, drove it there, drove to the post office and taxed it lol :thumb:

Dod
10-10-08, 03:56 PM
Agreed with everyone thats said you can drive it there without tax.

Cops although idiots, would see through it especially if you're on route to getting it MOT'd.

The Irish Equivalent is the NCT and is done for a 2 year period. My Corsa Passed with Flying Colours today. :D

Stuart
10-10-08, 04:00 PM
even if its taxed online you can stilll drive sans tax disc as the vehicle is taxed, just the postal service isnt immediate. The rules were ammended when they permitted online tax purchase (but obv this ONLY applies if you have taxed online

burgo
10-10-08, 04:11 PM
i thought it was an offence to not display a valid tax disc tho as i got done when mine fell off the windscreen.

Southie
10-10-08, 04:17 PM
What happens thou when you take it and it FAILS the mot are you still able to drive it back home?

Adam
10-10-08, 04:24 PM
i thought it was an offence to not display a valid tax disc tho as i got done when mine fell off the windscreen. Tis
The law is that you have to DISPLAY a valid tax disc, even if you do it online you cant use the car till you have the disc in your hand and on the windscreen.

What happens thou when you take it and it FAILS the mot are you still able to drive it back home?

Yes, you can drive it to and from an mot, and to and from a place for repair(a garage) without tax

Jack
10-10-08, 04:26 PM
^ Yes.

AFAIK its still an offence to not display a tax disc, although I would assume they would check to see if you have tax on their database and if you're just gone renewal time they would let you off. Although of course there's nothing to stop you ordering the tax online a week or more before its due to expire, giving plenty of time for delivery...

hendrix
10-10-08, 04:30 PM
Although of course there's nothing to stop you ordering the tax online a week or more before its due to expire, giving plenty of time for delivery...

Unless you buy the car with no tax and want to use it straight away....:thumb:

burgo
10-10-08, 04:33 PM
^ Yes.

AFAIK its still an offence to not display a tax disc, although I would assume they would check to see if you have tax on their database and if you're just gone renewal time they would let you off. Although of course there's nothing to stop you ordering the tax online a week or more before its due to expire, giving plenty of time for delivery...i had tax it had just fallen off the screen onto the floor!! *******s

hendrix
10-10-08, 04:36 PM
i had tax it had just fallen off the screen onto the floor!! *******s
Harsh!!

loggyboy
10-10-08, 04:47 PM
Tis
The law is that you have to DISPLAY a valid tax disc, even if you do it online you cant use the car till you have the disc in your hand and on the windscreen.

I was going to argue this but the driect.gov.uk site does state in its FAQ section

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

It is an offence to use a vehicle on a public road without displaying a valid tax disc.

Adam
10-10-08, 05:11 PM
:)
I read it earlier on, on the form that comes with a tax renewal reminder lol

Stuart
10-10-08, 06:01 PM
hmm I've still driven without the disc in my possesion lol. meh.
I'm sure the plod would be fine about it aslong as you werent a gobby twunt to them about it. Afterall they can see if it is actually taxed or not.