PDA

View Full Version : DO THINK THIS WOULD BE ENOUGH

DEE'S NOVA
28-10-02, 03:57 PM
Right as you know i'm trying to get the girlfreinds nova fixed up in my spare time and when cash is availible so theres this guy i know who used to work in arnold clark but does'nt now but still does buckys.Iwas going to ask if i pay about 130 would he swap the gearbox change cylinder head/sump gaskets and change the timing belt,do u think this a fair price or to much or to little?

SimonP
28-10-02, 04:33 PM
Man, it's an easy job. You could do it yourself for peanuts. if you're a noice, the go and buy a Haynes manual.

Cylinder head is easy and could be tackled by yourself. Gearbox maybe more tricky as you need 2 people really to do that and also an input shaft removal tool.

But if you are getting him to do that, then ?130 is fairly reasonable I guess. About 2 hours to change a gearbox + sorting the linkage. Then another hour to take a head off and refit. With new gaskets. Sump gasket, he'll need to take the down pipe/manifold off I think to be able to remove it. That'll take a bit of time, especially if the studs are seized.

Timing belt on it's own takes only about 30 mins. I take it yours is an 8v.

carltoncrazy
28-10-02, 07:38 PM
if the bolts fuck up on the studs,
then get a small socket and bash the fucker on hard,
then undo

Stuart
28-10-02, 09:25 PM
input shaft removal tool??? you mean an M8 bolt! lol

DEE'S NOVA
30-10-02, 11:48 AM
AH well if you think that's fare price simon p(fellow mig member)then i'll go for that as i would'nt want to take the chance in fuc@ing the head up (which i would prob do :lol: )

ade
30-10-02, 05:05 PM
who is it at arnold clarke doing it for ya?

?130 is good for all the jobs - labour alone woul be that for a booked in job!

How did you get on with yer slam panel in the end...

Ade

:wink:

novax
30-10-02, 11:25 PM
Cambridge, Simon forgets we have more tools for our cars than the average garrage, LOL. And our Mainshaft tool is the business, just so much easier than faffing about.... :D

?130, if you can afford it, pay him! It's a good price and it's crap weather out there at the moment, pay 'im. Not that I let anybody touch mine....

DEE'S NOVA
31-10-02, 02:12 PM
ADE :lol: IT'S STILL LYING THERE anytime (good weather)my dad starts to build his hut instead of the panel but i''l get round to it i trying do get it finished for january so the missius can start looking for her new job

as for this price i was asking you guys first so that i never put it to him and he would go :twisted: f*ck off but i'll phn him in the next couple off days and see what he thinks.Then i'll let u all know

ohh does anyone know where u can get a car tralier from and how much? as this is how i would need to get it to him as it ain't road worthy

ade
31-10-02, 05:43 PM
I think you can hire trailers from HSS hire shops - theres one in Greenock opposite Tescos (by word up)

Sure they do trailer hire...

Dunno how much it is to hire for a day though & you'd need summut to hook it up to - a van or summut. Fisher Trucks in Gourock do good van deals for hire - about ?30 a day.