PDA

View Full Version : mutant 6x9's

turbojolt
09-10-08, 03:09 PM
anyone here had any mutant components in there installs if so what were they like

as i have just brought a set of cheap mutant 6x9 on eBay

craig green
09-10-08, 03:20 PM
From an audiophile point of view, 6x9's sound gash. What they do well though is produce loud sound. They play well from low power sources ie headunits etc.

I'm sure they will be fine but in terms of sound quality, something that points at the rear screen & is behind the ear isnt going to sound brilliant tbh.

Adam
09-10-08, 03:44 PM
From an audiophile point of view, 6x9's sound gash.
Why???

turbojolt
09-10-08, 04:29 PM
From an audiophile point of view, 6x9's sound gash. What they do well though is produce loud sound. They play well from low power sources ie headunits etc.

I'm sure they will be fine but in terms of sound quality, something that points at the rear screen & is behind the ear isnt going to sound brilliant tbh.

do 6x9 normally produce good bass

Jack
09-10-08, 04:40 PM
No.

Why???
Because people usually put them above a sub, which makes them sound poo.

I prefer to leave my bass to a sub

Adam
09-10-08, 04:46 PM
So if you dont have/want a sub, there ok?

marc novataken
09-10-08, 04:51 PM
6x9s are ok with a sub i just have bass turned down on 6x9s. i find theyre better quality and louder than smaller speakers. wouldnt go with mutant myself though!

Adam
09-10-08, 04:53 PM
That defeats the point though lol
The size of them is what gives them there best feature(bass)
So with the bass turned off, you might as well just fit some quality smaller speakers, as you wont need the bass if you have a sub to take care of that

Smaller component/co-axial speakers give better sound usually.

Jack
09-10-08, 04:56 PM
Yup, I find a decent 8" speaker gives better sound than a 6x9.

turbojolt
09-10-08, 05:02 PM
wouldnt go with mutant myself though!

well there only a cheap stand in for now

I'm hoping to end up with some alpine type r equipment at some point

stevie-p
09-10-08, 05:34 PM
6x9's fcukin forget it waste of money waste of time

turbojolt
09-10-08, 06:55 PM
how so mate

craig green
10-10-08, 11:35 AM
They will be fine as a source of music/noise. However the sound quality from 6x9's is usually aimed more at volume than quality. They are the best thing to use when only a single pair of rear speakers is required, but as I said in my 1st reply, a speaker behind you isnt ideal, and neither is a speaker pointing up at an angled rear window.

2 fr speakers with the bass capped off & a dedicated sub in the boot is a better solution, any rear speakers would want to be faded down to act as rear fill. Using 6x9's for this is a waste of space, excessive weight etc.

turbojolt
10-10-08, 12:16 PM
would they be better if i built a stand for them to angle forwards rather then just straight up like a 90 degree angle

also i'm going to get a sub soon i have been looking at the jbl sub and amp packages

jimbob-mcgrew
10-10-08, 10:09 PM
edit : was talking jibberish.
jolt if your gonna do that, it'd sound prety hefty if u boxed the 6x9's and mounted them facing towards the front of the car. depending on whether youve got trouble on the parcel shelf side cos as soon as there boxed there weighty and bow the rear shelf. on an older car i tried an mdf shelf years back, was 11mm thick with even lighter components than 6x9's, and was sound for about a week and a half. after that it was constantly bowing real slowly, then after 2 months ish it was full on cresent moon styles. i struggled to get stuff in the boot at times, cos it was right in the way - hah. i didnt wanna try again, as 13mm wouldnt have done it, and 15mm woulda been too hefty, 18mm woulda been like ' ave it ' and weight the car down. u may get lucky with the nova shelf tho cos its got metal bars running down its length, seems to be stronger than most. i bet if u wernt too porky u might be able to sit on the rear shlef, and the rear quarter plastics would probably fall before the shelf lol i dunno im crazy

bit like this: a pic i saw on the net years back, a 6x9 install into a fast road GT500 mustang, nice blend of tunes over speed, bet that sounds prety decent.
i dunno what those speakers are, they may be oldskool infinities, similar frame shape and tweeter.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/photon_09/6x9box.jpg

jay_kay
11-10-08, 11:51 PM
i found compoments to be better, but i did have a set of infinty reference 6x9's which sounded top dog.

Tidy Max
13-10-08, 09:07 AM
compos all the way mate, im not a fan of 6x9s, i think as a quick audio fix they are okay, a couple of friends have them in and there tunes sound okay, personally i go with the small sub for the bass, then some good quality compos + tweeters, to cover mid and high, removing all the bass that would be going to the compos is also advised for the best sound quality, but in the end it all comes down to a head unit with a good enough processor, garbage in garbage out, the speakers can be as **** hot ass you like with a good HU its pointless!

craig green
13-10-08, 12:24 PM
6x9's are meant to be run 'free air' so putting them in a box does them no favours except for helping you hear the treble (assuming they will be aimed at you). Once again though, I will emphasise that you want the speakers to be infront of you. Bass is non-directional hence it doesnt matter if it comes from the boot.

turbojolt
13-10-08, 01:57 PM
well the corries lost the mutant 6x9's so the company are going to send me these instead clicky (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Juice-JS694-6x9-4-way-450w-Car-Speakers-Great-Cond_W0QQitemZ220291114511QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 220291114511&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

i happy about this because these speakers look a lot smarter the the other ones

and i will properly end up making a box for them to angle them forwards

maxlee
14-10-08, 11:52 AM
i am not to clued up on this sort of stuff but my friend who is a pro never uses 6x9's he has always used compant speaks etc and always gives me a look if i say i might just chuck some 6x9's in it for now lol

i no in transit doors 6x9's are better then ford speakers :thumb:

motor world near me are having a massive sale maybe because the comp is going tits up but alpine type r speakers are cheap in there we bout a pair last week for my fiends zibra (clibra) front doors for £22 if i remember right and alpine do smaller ones that would fit in the dash as well bit cheaper i think some thing like £19 from motor world

have to agree about head units tho i rember changing my friends jvc head unit for a alpine and big difrance :)

just my 2P's worth :)

turbojolt
14-10-08, 08:36 PM
well i got them today and put them in and to be honest i think they sound really good especially for 15 quid they are clear and give a good bit of bass over all im impressed

but now i do think i need to get some good front speakers to make it less rear heavy in the sound department i think i will get these before i get a sub

marc novataken
14-10-08, 09:35 PM
as long as you think they sound good mate it dont matter what people think. was havin a talk wiv my mate today he hates 6x9s but i think they sound good tbh.

turbojolt
15-10-08, 08:43 AM
as long as you think they sound good mate it dont matter what people think. was havin a talk wiv my mate today he hates 6x9s but i think they sound good tbh.

yes i agree mate i like them i was very surprised how good they were after reading people slating them lol

but they do sound clear I'm very happy it was a good 15 quid spent