PDA

View Full Version : Attention Painting type people. Question inside!

Stoo
09-10-08, 08:45 AM
Right

How do i go about painting Satin finish?

Do i just use normal paint and then add some kind of satin agent?
Or is it in the lacquer?
Is it easy to achieve a good finish?
What sort of care and maintenance does it require afterwards? ie polish/wash etc

cheers gang!

Stu

Jack
09-10-08, 08:54 AM
I was under the impression if you wax it, that would remove the satin finish...? I'm sure thats how it is on matt paint.

loggyboy
09-10-08, 09:04 AM
typical matt paint can not be polished as it will end up being flatted and loosing its mattness.
From what i read the other day when Benn and another guy were discussing it you can get satin paint that can then be lacquered (not normal lacquer) that maintains the matt/satin look but can still be washed and polished.

Tidy Max
09-10-08, 12:32 PM
you jsut buy satin paint dont you?
i thought you could get matt black, satin black, or gloss black?

Stoo
09-10-08, 12:33 PM
yeah you can, but you cant just buy custom satin colours

mayhem
09-10-08, 12:50 PM
most of the paints now are satin, and need a clear varnis to give it a proper shine. there's also a satin gloss clear varnis.
(not the cheap motip sh!t)

Tidy Max
09-10-08, 12:54 PM
i didnt realise he was after a custom paint colour? just the finish!

Stoo
09-10-08, 02:38 PM
well its not exactly custom, its a VW Audi colour, but i dont want gloss
i want satin

Nick J
09-10-08, 07:08 PM
The best way to achieve what your after stu is by adding a matting agent to the lacqeur. We work with different ratios at work so basically we can add just a small amount of agent to slightly dull the lacqeur or a substantial amount more to matt it completely etc. The paint systems used obviously need to be compatable to do this and its no harder than applying normal lacqeur etc. Our lacqeur actually goes on glossy and matts during the bake cycle which makes life easy when applying it. Done well it looks great however the only thing you've got to remember is you cant polish it otherwise it will go glossy again! Hope this helps fella. ps Ive stopped reading your wip as I keep getting urges to go buy something dub wise! :)

Stoo
09-10-08, 07:12 PM
Cheers nick
Great advice.

Although my paint man has sh1t on me tonight so bang goes that plan!!

Check my WIP Later, new rim pics!!!