PDA

View Full Version : F13 Gearbox

ash anderson
08-10-08, 09:13 PM
Im half way through taking my f13 off,
just need to undo mounts and gearbox housing bolts, but i have a slight problem-ive undone the drivers side drive shaft but i carnt get the pasenger side driveshaft out off the box ive tried pulling prizeing evrything ive took it off the hub-is there a knack to removing this?
could i drop the box with the shaft in and take it out afterwards.
or do i put the shaft back in and try pulling on the arm to pop it out of the gearbox:confused:

napalm_27
08-10-08, 09:15 PM
same happened on my f18 box mate i had to get a new box in the end keep trying with pry bars and big ball joint splitters hit away from the box on the edge of the cv joint if not new box

ash anderson
08-10-08, 09:18 PM
same happened on my f18 box mate i had to get a new box in the end keep trying with pry bars and big ball joint splitters hit away from the box on the edge of the cv joint if not new box

my gearbox it facked to be honest ive got a new reconditioned one that im sticking in but need the old shafts just carnt get the things out of the old box :mad: im thinking they mite have seized in :( ive tried hitting the velocity joint with a hammer away from the box its just not moveing :(

napalm_27
08-10-08, 09:28 PM
yer its siezed mate just take the shaft out the cv joint and get a new one from breakers or somethink

ash anderson
08-10-08, 09:46 PM
yer its siezed mate just take the shaft out the cv joint and get a new one from breakers or somethink

its not going well for me this job, i may try and get the box out with the shaft still in and chizzel it out as i dont have access to a vechicle to go to the breakers yard neitha a local dealership :(

napalm_27
08-10-08, 09:50 PM
its not hard i pulled my f20 box out with the shaft still in but you wont chizzel it out mate lol i had a air chizzel on mine and it was still putting up a hell of a fight

ash anderson
08-10-08, 09:55 PM
its not hard i pulled my f20 box out with the shaft still in but you wont chizzel it out mate lol i had a air chizzel on mine and it was still putting up a hell of a fight

:mad: im running out of ideas here :( anybody got any ideas im 15mile away from a scrap yard and 4mile from a local dealership each way bit far to get on my pedal bike haha

napalm_27
08-10-08, 09:59 PM
mail order a cv joint :D

ash anderson
08-10-08, 10:04 PM
mail order a cv joint :D

working tomorow night :( need the car going by tomorow:(

DW-Nova
08-10-08, 10:44 PM
I work in a breakers yard and have this problem all the time, simply take the shaft out of the hub and drop the box out with shaft still in, then use a hammer and chisel and it will come out !!! just keep wacking and wacking it !!

ash anderson
08-10-08, 11:07 PM
I work in a breakers yard and have this problem all the time, simply take the shaft out of the hub and drop the box out with shaft still in, then use a hammer and chisel and it will come out !!! just keep wacking and wacking it !!

lol lol
thats what i was thinking ive dropped the shaft out of the hub, just seeing if anybody has done this before so it looks like im going to do that thanks mate:thumb:

mowgli
09-10-08, 12:09 AM
the way to remove a nova driveshaft from the gearbox is:

jack it up & remove the wheel, then refit the bolts into the hub..

undo the bottom steering arm joint under the hub.

if its the left one, turn the wheel to the right (and vice versa) & lock the steering lock.

then grab the disc & pull it out vigorously. this acts like a slide hammer & I have never failed to remove a half shaft using this method

Welsh Dan
09-10-08, 12:18 AM
If mowglis method fails, get a 12" long 1/2" drive extension bar and feed it into the hole left by the shaft that came out, making sure it goes in through the center and is going straight in, then give it a good clout with a hammer.

Mowgli's method never failed for me though.

I can pop down tomorrow if you need a hand, but you'll need to let me know your address and phone number.

mowgli
09-10-08, 12:23 AM
If mowglis method fails, get a 12" long 1/2" drive extension bar and feed it into the hole left by the shaft that came out, making sure it goes in through the center and is going straight in, then give it a good clout with a hammer

doesn't the diff gears & x shaft get in the way??? I'd recommend using a much smaller drift

Welsh Dan
09-10-08, 12:26 AM
Whoops, good point. For some reason I thought you could do that, but I was wrong:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/diff.jpg

Failing that then, take the diff cover off and hit it from there :).

_JH_
09-10-08, 05:21 PM
If it doesn't work straight away, turn the disc [and shaft] 10 or 20 degrees and try again, keep doing so until it comes out, won't take long.

Don't know why it works, it just does. I usually do it just by holding the shaft itself. I often brake Novas and it never fails.

The only time it doesn't work is if the inner CV is knackered. Then the best tool I've found is the C-shaped dizzy bracket from small block novas, even has a flat side for you to hit with the hammer.

HTH :)

loggyboy
09-10-08, 05:44 PM
I take the Boot off the inner CV, open up the circlip and pull the drive shaft our. Once the Gearbox is out you can gain easier access to all sides of the CV and then its just a matter of putting even pressure on each side of the CV to lever it out.

ash anderson
09-10-08, 10:24 PM
Whoops, good point. For some reason I thought you could do that, but I was wrong:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/diff.jpg

Failing that then, take the diff cover off and hit it from there :).

done it this way and it worked atreat new box is in and im back on the road:D have very sore skinnd knuckles