PDA

View Full Version : I REALLY NEED SOME HELP!

Lizzie
28-10-02, 02:09 PM
I am in love with my 1.4 Nova SR, Ive (so far) only added big wheels, lowered 60mm, ICE, new bumpers, slightly tuned engine, but there is a few bumps of rust appearing on the passenger door. Ive got a mate who works in the body repair industry, says it is not worth gettin it fixed cos the value will drop quickly and ill loose any money put into it. What should I do? I really dont want to give it up, its my baby!? :cry:

wisewood
28-10-02, 02:20 PM
well look at half the nova's in the feature cars section - they have had thousands spend keeping them looking and driving nicely.

If you love your car - you spend money on it, simple as that.
You could just follow your mates advice and get rid of it for something that will hold its value a bit more, but then that eans you gotta start modding all over again, spending more money than you would to get the rust problem sorted on your nova.

Hope that makes sense, it does in my head. But my head is a bit wobbly today.

ade
28-10-02, 05:15 PM
I agree with wisewood

Youve already spent cash on mods so far and you aint gonna get the cash back on it. Novas are old and unless you do some serious mods you arent really gonna recover the cost of them - unless you break the car up :o

If it yer baby (like mine is to me) and you have no intention of selling the car in the next 12 months or so, get the door fixed - A second hand decent door will set you back ?15-?30 - a new one somewhere in the region of ?80 - ?120.

Then all you got to do is respray it and fit it - thats where yer m8 comes in.

Nowadays most cars depreciate in value at such a rapid rate its stupid. You roll a car off a forecourt and you'll lose a grand almost straight away!

wisewood
28-10-02, 05:44 PM
Top gear last night said a bloke bought a bmq 7 series 12 months ago for 48 grand. He now wants to sell it and get something else, and the new 7 series has been launched, so his car, 12 months old is only gonna sell for about 24k.

50% loss in value over 12 months... see... keep yer nova.
Pay a couple hundred quid at the absolute most and get the rust sorted. It's your baby, and trading babies is illegal in this country.

jim sri
28-10-02, 06:32 PM
get a replacement door.
i recently replaced both my doors on my j reg sr-rotten really bad.just make sure the door is 100% rot free,dnt worry too much about little dents etc-dents wont come back once repaired,but the rot will.
i paid ?70 for a pair of good doors,and ?50ea to spray in flame red.
also,i was speaking to someone the other day who told me that mk 1 nova doors are totally different to the mk2 doors,not sure if this is true,someone on here will prob correct me if that's wrong,but if it is true make suree you get mk2 doors. :D

novax
28-10-02, 06:40 PM
Hi Lizzie,

Look in the Yellow pages for breakers and look for "firstcall" something like that... you tell them what you want and they put it out to 100s of brekers who then ring YOU if they have what you want. They'll even ship it to you, sorted see :D

Then get your mate to paint them....

dan16v
28-10-02, 08:19 PM
wisewood is correct id say most of the 16vs in the feature section have had 10grand spent on them at least! i have all the billings for my 16v and id say around this figure! look at eg ians if you think about spending the money you dont like your nova!. you have to think what it cost is what it costs regardless spesh with the 16vs as you cant scrimp on parts i e tyres brakes etc

Breeny
29-10-02, 09:46 AM
Just out of curiosity why do you say only the 16v's? :roll:

Lizzie
29-10-02, 10:39 AM
Nice one, thats that sorted. Just got a new job so Im gonna devote my money to my baby! Talkin to people in here is expensive but it helps me make my mind up!! Cheers! :D

wisewood
29-10-02, 12:57 PM
Talkin to people in here is expensive but it helps me make my mind up!!

Surely you knew that by asking a question like "shall i keep my nova" on a nova fanclub website you would get people telling you to keep it though. lmao. :D

dan16v
29-10-02, 06:38 PM
sorry breeny didnt mean to offend! but i found (in my experiance) that my sr's and gtes have not cost me nearly as much as my 16v due to annoying things that go wrong and i kant just whip em off a nova i e hydraulic lifters ?200 where as tappets on the gte were bout ?30! im talkin general cost, i e not if you have a front bumper made out of gold then it would mean it would cost more than a 16v :D