PDA

View Full Version : F13 Equal Lenght Shafts

nova1600
08-10-08, 06:27 PM
Right I've a f13 quaife sccr box with tranx diff on diesel shafts with the gsi engine. What I want to do is put equal length shafts on it.

I know I'd have to change the side gears on the diff to accept the larger shafts. I'd have to machine out the hubs? (Anybody tell me exactly)

What I don't know is how you mount the shaft to give the equal length on the f13 box?

I seen plenty on this forum about the f20 box but not for the f13

Can it be done?

ck
08-10-08, 06:31 PM
i suppose everythin is possible with the money and time.

the equal length shaft setups generaly come off calibra's/cavalier's and are for the big block gearbox's (f16/f20/f28 ect)

to be honest you wont be able to use an equal length shaft setup unless you can find an intermediate shaft with the small block splines.

the other ways would be to fit a big block gearbox (f20 for instance) and machined hubs to fit the big block equal length shafts.

you can get a diff for your f13 which uses big block splines but then thats gonna cost money and u allready have a small block LSD..

tom_beverley
09-10-08, 09:54 AM
I'm in a simialr position to you since I've got a Tran X with standard F10/F13 side gears. I spoke to Tran X some time ago regarding the possibility of changing the side gears and was told it would probably be more economic to just sell the diff on and buy a large side geared one.

Then you'd need to get a equal shaft setup and mod the hub to fit the nova bearing or machine out the hub carrier and fit bigger bearings (VW Syncro bearings IIRC), latter option being better.

loggyboy
09-10-08, 09:59 AM
surely it would be cheaper to get a custom shaft made up to replace the equal length halfshaft?, then you just need to do the same as the big block guys do with regards to the rest of the shaft and hubs.

craig green
09-10-08, 10:13 AM
What about the central shaft carrier with the bearing in? Is the existing bog block item suitable to be fitted to a small block engine casting? (it does bolt to the block doesnt it?)

tom_beverley
09-10-08, 10:21 AM
I don't think it does Craig, I didn't get that far but I'm sure I remember t45_ste talking about finding a suitable mounting point.

t45_ste
09-10-08, 10:33 AM
It probably will be cheaper for you to buy a diff with the larger side gears rather than changing them. I was going to run this setup on mine but have since changed plans.

What block are you using? I may be able to give you some pointers.

loggyboy
09-10-08, 10:35 AM
Yes it does bolt to the back of the big block, but i cat see it being an issue making up somthing to replicate it, theres always loads of bolt holes on blocks from the various cars they are fitted in.

nova1600
09-10-08, 10:35 AM
The way I see it is the F13 gearbox sits in the same place as the F20, so you need to see if the carrier will mount on to the engine block? that will dictate weather it can be done.

Anyone know? or even if the C16xe block has a mounting end as thats what we are thinking of putting in the car.

craig green
09-10-08, 10:39 AM
So are we thinking the existing equal length shaft carrier is suitable?

I want to do this, though its better suited to my last engine really.

tom_beverley
09-10-08, 10:42 AM
Yes it does bolt to the back of the big block

Sorry I should have clarified I was talking about small block.

t45_ste
09-10-08, 11:44 AM
Only the bottom hole on the carrier lines up with the c16xe block, you will need to make a bracket, not hard to do. I started making one but gave up when plans changed.