PDA

View Full Version : Fuse no.18 blowing - Instrument panel (GTE Mk1)

noknok
08-10-08, 01:45 PM
Ello, this morning while driving the battery warning light came on, stereo, fuel gauge, oil pressure, water temp, rev counter all died.

I found fuse no.18 (20 amp) had blown, replaced it with heated rear window fuse of same rating and on 1st click of ignition stereo and fuel gauge worked but few seconds after starting engine it blew again.

Nothing is modified on the dash, except a home made permanent live from head unit to battery with in-line 15 amp fuse. Ignition wiring repaired 3-4 months back following theft but has been working fine.

All other electrics seem ok, windows, headlights, indicators...

Has anyone got a simple explanation and/or if I can borrow right gear to test electrics, where should I start.

Thanks.

craig green
08-10-08, 03:40 PM
I'd check to see no wires related to those items have shorted out onto the chassis anywhere. Also buy some new fuses as old ones can blow easily I find.

I've had a couple fuses pop recently & when replaced have been no more trouble since.

novajulz
08-10-08, 07:01 PM
sounds like a bad earth or split in the wire i had the same problem recently and my earth wire that was connected to the handbrake was loose

noknok
17-10-08, 02:15 PM
Sorry late replies on this as I've been away from home.

I think I found the problem, a wire is loose in engine bay which must have been popping my fuse. For the time being I've put out the way and insulated it and now the fuse is stable.

Maybe someone could help me identify it. It's a black and yellow wire, quite long and it's live. It shares same trunking as oil pressure wire and alternator.

Can anyone tell me where this wire should terminate?

After my 1st post I broke down. Lost power slowly I guess the injection system packed up as the battery was dead so a boost got me home. Alternator is providing good output so I think maybe the battery has come to end of it's life.

noknok
23-10-08, 11:18 AM
Since wire isolated, cars been running fine.

Does anyone have an idea on where this wire should terminate as above description?