PDA

View Full Version : Machine Nova Hub Carriers

mike-turbo
07-10-08, 08:42 PM
I Am Converting My Nova To 5 Stud And Ive Bought Some Vw Syncro Rear Bearings .i Have Also Bought Vectra Hubs 5 Stud Iam After A Good Machine Shop To Do The Job Prefer Local To Worcestershire Area But Will Travel.also Do I Need Any Off The Hubs?

Pistol Pete
07-10-08, 10:53 PM
AFAIK you need to machine the hub to fit in the bearing. Havent done this myself so cant say for sure.

The Simps
07-10-08, 10:56 PM
Speak to Keith Robinson. It is the carriers that need maching not the hub. Some people are against machining the hubs cos it can make them weak if not done properly.

Pistol Pete
07-10-08, 11:09 PM
My apologies i was wrong. I'm sure in Benns rebuild thread he turned down the hub though?

The Simps
07-10-08, 11:14 PM
Yeah, you can turn down the hub, I've got turned down hubs too, but thats to make it fit standard bearings. By maching the hub you have to get the radius edge correct or it creates a heat spot and can break. So some prefer to fit a larger bearing and machine the carrier.

Pistol Pete
07-10-08, 11:17 PM
Ah, ok! Thanks, i now know for future reference!

R1CH
07-10-08, 11:24 PM
Thats the way i done my 5 stud conversion (as in 1st post), you still need to machine some off the actual hub part (to clear the bearing circlip and to bring it in-line so the disc lines up with the caliper).
Idealy you'd need to give the machine shop a std Nova hub to get the diamentions off, to make sure it's all gonna line up.
I've got a pic (drawn in MS Paint !) that i done to show where the knuckles need machined, give me your email address and i'll email it to you if you want.