PDA

View Full Version : Waxoyl or underseal

white2lSR
07-10-08, 07:46 PM
Which is best for under car treatment??? I need to treat the underside of the car but dont have much experience of doing this

Your opinions please

philthepill_389
07-10-08, 08:06 PM
black spray on under seal shults (sp) looks good and work a treat. keep the wax oil for inside the car doors boot quarters in side the sills etc

SKoob
07-10-08, 08:08 PM
Waxoyl imo, that underseal is ok till it gets a few holes in it from stones etc... then it just traps water in and causes it to rust alot quicker, plus waxoyl is easyer to remove and re-apply

Dec16v
07-10-08, 08:57 PM
3M Gravitex is what I used, I heard very good feedback when I was looking into it.

Dec

maxlee
07-10-08, 09:35 PM
under seal with waxoil in it by waxoil :thumb:

Dan_Coombs
07-10-08, 11:23 PM
Yeah, i've heard waxoil is the way forward.

tom_beverley
08-10-08, 09:40 AM
Waxoil definately wins it for me, although I'll have to look into the 3M Gravitex stuff too. Waxoil is much much better as it actually repells moisture, looks neat if applied well (you can get it in clear too if wanted) and forms a long lasting waxy surface.

NOV4_SPORT
08-10-08, 04:03 PM
Pump it full of wax oil !!

iain

ade
08-10-08, 07:40 PM
waxoyl is only really for internal panels - its wax based so will eventually wash off - the 3M stuff (or just Tetrosyl body shutz) is really good and is sprayed on will make a nicve thick penetrating layer that wont budge - Several layers make for good impact resistance. Best think - is to strip old rust, etch prime, seal edges with seam sealer, paint with red oxide or similar primer then spray/paint on underbody shutz.

The Simps
09-10-08, 12:14 AM
I used waxoil mixed with some old engine oil so it stays tacky and stones stick to it rather than chip it. Dads been doingcars like that for years with good results.

Can't recommend thoroughly coated your break lines in grease too - adds years to their life.

mowgli
09-10-08, 12:26 AM
waxoyl sticks like poo to curtains. it is basically what the council apply to things then stick a label on saying 'anti vandal paint' but use a decent underseal & then spray a layer of waxoyl on it.

odd waxoyl fact, it is used by jcb to lubricate the sliding masts on telescopic loaders & diggers

Ben
09-10-08, 12:28 AM
Gravitex is excellent.

vaughanmc
09-10-08, 07:35 AM
Mines is done underneath with the Underseal with added Waxoyl then Hammerite on top of that then some Body-Schutz on top of that

tom_beverley
09-10-08, 09:39 AM
I've been cleaning and rubbing back my engine bay ready for painting and most of the usual promblematic areas were covered in waxoil and has preserved it brilliantly. I'm amazed by how much better this shell is than my old van and put a large part of that down to the waxoil covering everything. it will be getting re-applied when its painted up for sure!

Red oxide stuff is a good primer but be careful as most of this has pretty low adhesion and is prone to peeling off after being painted (unless etch primer is used first obviously).

Jack
09-10-08, 10:10 AM
Mines is done underneath with the Underseal with added Waxoyl then Hammerite on top of that then some Body-Schutz on top of that
Does the hammerite take ok to the underseal/waxoyl mix?

craig green
09-10-08, 10:17 AM
I think the Gravitex stuff would get my vote, though its better suited to being applied to a bare floorpan, rather than a built car. etc.

When we stitch welded my engine bay, we used brush on Red oxide primer followed by UPOL seam sealer & the welds & joins are still perfectly rust free. A great combo.

AlexW
09-10-08, 10:26 AM
Reading this thread is making me think! I need to get some more protection on the mk2 nova but i wont have a lot of time on the ramp so i think i will just have to remove most of the rust, krust it and underseal it.

vaughanmc
09-10-08, 04:09 PM
Does the hammerite take ok to the underseal/waxoyl mix?

Hmm worked OK in my front and rear inner arches :)

SKoob
09-10-08, 06:55 PM
I used waxoil mixed with some old engine oil so it stays tacky and stones stick to it rather than chip it. Dads been doingcars like that for years with good results.

Can't recommend thoroughly coated your break lines in grease too - adds years to their life.

My uncle used that on his old MGB, never been restored and its one of the very very early ones, so must work lol