PDA

View Full Version : c16xe forced induction

olienova1
07-10-08, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know how much presure you can run through a standard AFM and ecu before it doesnt work? And how much standard internals run roughly?lol

Stuart
07-10-08, 01:34 PM
you always pull a vaccum through the maf ;) unless you fit it post turbo (but the flow rates will be the same)

craig green
07-10-08, 01:34 PM
Neither the AFm or ECU are subjected to boost pressure....

Most of the engine is strong enough to cope with upto a bar of boost I expect, though it depends how high you take the revs, assuming you keep the std cams & use a sensible sized charger you wont be revving it beyond 7k anyway. The hard/expensive part is the pistons which give the unit too high a compression ratio for turbocharging.

imnobby
07-10-08, 03:29 PM
i need low comp pistons for my c16xe but they are expensive as you can gues!

olienova1
07-10-08, 03:38 PM
so standard management would take a supercharger then or have i got to go stand alone?

Stuart
07-10-08, 03:44 PM
you would need to increase the fuelling to cope with the extra air.... be it with one of those bodgetastic duel rate FPR's or a bodgestatic switch in the MAP sensor line. Or semi properly with a piggyback ecu (no not a unichip, they fail at customer service), or really properly with a stand alone ecu

craig green
07-10-08, 03:46 PM
i need low comp pistons for my c16xe but they are expensive as you can gues!

Where from?

so standard management would take a supercharger then or have i got to go stand alone?

Keeping the boost pressure low (think less than 10psi) you can use a rising rate fuel pressure reg or boost sensitive regulator to up the fuel pressure according to boost. Not perfect but very effective.
However the best method is a properly mapped injection/ignition system to the spec of your engine.

meritlover
08-10-08, 01:02 PM
i would assume the MAF would go out of range pretty quickly once you got into positive pressure.

the problem exists whether you use a supercharger or a turbo. sure you could fit the TB on the suction side of the blower and draw through the MAF, but as the pressure increases, the volume of air will likely make the MAF go tits.
better still would be to use the above supercharger and TB layout and use a MAP sensor so its always measuring vacuum at the TB, that way you wont run into positive pressure on boost, sending the MAP into meltdown or initiating a fuel-cut function of the ECU.

olienova1
08-10-08, 03:24 PM
" better still would be to use the above supercharger and TB layout and use a MAP sensor so its always measuring vacuum at the TB, that way you wont run into positive pressure on boost, sending the MAP into meltdown or initiating a fuel-cut function of the ECU ".[/quote]

Does that mean you dont run the MAF and run a MAP insted? :(

craig green
08-10-08, 03:35 PM
You would have to keep the std sensor as the management can't be reconfigured for another type, not without a considerable amount of cost & remapping, in which case you might aswell do a proper job & fit a standalone management like DTA or OMEX etc.

Ben
08-10-08, 03:38 PM
TBH if your going to the expense and cost of turbocharging a C16 XE then a secondhand DTA or MBE setup isnt going to notice.

craig green
08-10-08, 03:45 PM
By the time you've made the loom & had it mapped though it all adds uup.

I dont disagree, but if the aim is to build it on a budget, there are cheaper methods.

Ben
08-10-08, 03:51 PM
Thats true craig but with tc cars the fueling is so critical if its slightly out your going to be melting expensive pistons and that will soon amount to a damn site more.

Stuart
08-10-08, 04:01 PM
Its a nice romantic idea to think you can FI an engine on the cheap but in reality you can only do it cheap if you accept that its either going to make f'all power OR last 5 mins (usually a mixture of the two though).

olienova1
08-10-08, 05:02 PM
im only trying to go low boost supercharged im not bothered about going standalone as long as i know it can run properly! the only problem i have is finding a good enough rolling road to do it round here! i wouldn't trust half of them wid a push bike let alone a nova!!!!! lol

Mike
08-10-08, 05:20 PM
im only trying to go low boost supercharged im not bothered about going standalone as long as i know it can run properly! the only problem i have is finding a good enough rolling road to do it round here! i wouldn't trust half of them wid a push bike let alone a nova!!!!! lol

Dude, your only in Bridgenorth, theres plenty or RR's in the Mids!!

PJ Motorsport in Wednesfield
Aldon Auto in Brierly Hill
Mikeanics in Congleton (J17 M6)
Ralli Art Extreme in Dudley

Plus funk knows how many more!

olienova1
08-10-08, 05:56 PM
only place id use out of them is mikeanics! i know there good!:thumb:

Mike
08-10-08, 06:10 PM
PJ Motorsport work wonders with MegaSquirt, Aldon Auto are full on old school tuners who know there shizzle :thumb:

olienova1
08-10-08, 06:38 PM
pj motorsport sound good if they do mega squirt,everyone ive spoken to said they wern't sure about it. Anyone used PJ motorsport at all?? ill never use Aldon after whats happent to two of my mates Comp cars!:thumb:

Mike
08-10-08, 06:41 PM
Ive used PJ's myself.

olienova1
08-10-08, 06:48 PM
take it you were pleased then if you recomending them? could i have their phone number please?:D i think im going to have to talk with them before i go much further!

Mike
08-10-08, 06:59 PM
You'll have too googlerise it as ive not got my phone to hand lol

olienova1
09-10-08, 12:45 PM
for referance if any one else wants to contact them!

PJ MOTORSPORT LTD
UNIT 17 PHOENIX RD INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
PHOENIX RD
WEDNESFIELD
WOLVERHAMPTON
WV4 5AT
pjmpcltd@aol.com
Tel-01902 862 882 /01902 862 880