PDA

View Full Version : help needed

SharonSR
27-10-02, 06:22 PM
Well what an evening I had! Was going to KFC as normal for a Saturday with my boyriend (as I'm only a leaner), got half way there, when the stereo went off, all the lights dimmed, some other electrics just stopped! So there I am, driving down the road with no headlights and rev counter, luckily I wasn't too far from a petrol station. The engine was still running, but we switched it off to check belt tension and earths, etc, but it wouldn't start again, not enough power! So we left her there and got a lift back and got the boyfriends Astra. Went and got KFC (ate it in the petrol station!) Tried the car and she started frist time! Tasty! Went to drive home with my boyfriend's mate following, but got less then a mile down the road before the lights etc started to dim again, but this time the engine starts backfiring and then loses all power! Just managed to limp off the main road. So tonight my poor car is spending the night in a car park all alone, with only a Cavalier for company. Hopefully it's just the battery thats gone and maybe the alternator. Will let you know tomorrow when I get her back here, and give her a thorough examination (if the rain ever stops!!).
sorry if you've already read this,

dan16v
27-10-02, 06:41 PM
have you checked the main earth strap? as i had this prob on my gte it wouldnt even start sum times! but i gave the strap a prod and it would start! in the dark you should be able to see the strap earth out by means of a spark! anouther time it was an earth behind the headlight i think?, or may be its your alternator? if it is ive got a few in my garage if you want one for nowt, takin up to much room :roll: get your bf to get a volt meter n check the battery etc

SharonSR
27-10-02, 07:35 PM
Well, battery was in the car when we bought it, so no idea on age, but it had 11.5 volts across this morning, and the car just started. with the engine running the voltage on the dash guage and multimeter didn't rise. Strange, as this was after swapping for a different (admittedly rattley) alternator.

Maybe just bad luck? All earths seem ok.

Need a 55A one, only got a 65A, which doesn't fit properly.

dan16v
27-10-02, 07:59 PM
11.5 is not realy that much even tho u think its a 12v battery it should sit at 12.5 if its healthy and rise to 14ish when running maybe get your self a new battery then? as i said if u need a alternator give me a shout m8 :D

SharonSR
27-10-02, 08:57 PM
I'll do that first thing, and let you know tomorrow night, thanks for the offer of the alternator, I'll keep it in mind :D

SharonSR
29-10-02, 10:30 PM
Well here is the latest, have put a new battery in, still no diffrent and thats with the (admittedly rattley) alternator. so it could be the alternator as it is a 65a one and the belts loose on it, what do you lot think?

jim sri
29-10-02, 11:05 PM
yer try giving the belt a bit of tension,i think if its tensioned right u should be able to push the belt in roughly 1cm with your finger.
but as dan 16v says check the earth strap first&failing all that its prob gona mean new alternator.
my old nova did exactly the same eg lights dimming doin about 80 down a motorway at night-gr8 fun,that turned out to be duff alternator. :|