PDA

View Full Version : Cesaros + cracked posts?

areofall
06-10-08, 11:39 PM
Hi. just have a couple of question I'd like answered, please

1. What offset and width are Vauxhall cesaro's and if I lower about 30mm will I need to remove any rear wheel arch on a 3dr hatch?

2. From way back in the day, I was always told a lowered nova would crack the B pillars behind the doors, is this true? Can remeber seeing plenty with cracked posts at the time.

Thanks

L14MNP
06-10-08, 11:41 PM
I've never known a Nova to crack on the B pillars mate, seen many Corsas though! I'm sure others will know the score :)

Pistol Pete
06-10-08, 11:42 PM
Cesaros should fit fine. Quite a few guys on here have them fitted. As for the b posts cracking thats a new one on me lol

Steve
06-10-08, 11:43 PM
I believe they are 6.5" wide, they normally run 195/45/15 tyres and most people dont have clearance problems, however in my experience with mostly pre 87 cars even with the arch lips trimmed, 195 tyres still catch on the inner rear arch. I now run 185/45/15 tyres with no problems.

areofall
06-10-08, 11:50 PM
Thanks, do Ceasaro's run a offset of ET49? I do remember seeing Nova's with post cracked like the Corsa B's we used to believe it was too hard a lowered suspension or they had a knock at the front, but then at the time Nova's were big business and people were mad looking them so all hit one's normally got fixed, thoses were the dayslol

loggyboy
07-10-08, 12:06 AM
Cesaros are 6 inch wide and 49mm offset and are a good fit for a Nova. Only light trimming of arches on a lowered car (with good rear beam bushes) would be needed (if any at all) but it comes down to the usual manuafacturing tollerance as every car is different.
My nova has a paint crack on the b pillar where it meets the rear qtr, i put this down to a bad paint job after a repair. I have heard that its common for Corsa Bs to rust there tho.

areofall
07-10-08, 12:11 AM
I maybe wrong but I thought it always was a stress point on the shells hence cracking, I think Vauxhall done a recall on the Corsa B and used some sort of adhesive on it and repainted them but thats about 10 years ago and just can't remember?

loggyboy
07-10-08, 12:11 AM
IN fact, ive just zoomed in a hi res image i have and found this, and this was before i ran the car with the XE or changed the suspension, so its present on a standard 80k 1.2, so not down to hard suspension or hard driving.

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/MeritMk2/BPillarCrack.jpg

Ben
07-10-08, 12:19 AM
Still nothing like the corsa problems you get.

loggyboy
07-10-08, 12:22 AM
No it hasnt and doesnt concern me, its not grown in the year and a half ive been kaning the car!

burgo
07-10-08, 01:04 AM
yes ive seen a few cracked there loggy, i do think it only goes paint deep tho

Jack
07-10-08, 08:44 AM
I've heard about it on the Corsas, but I've never seen any major damage there on a Nova. Probably find its just surface rust bubbling up due to the vinyl trapping moisture.

Cesaros should be fine, bear in mind though most will come with big fat tyres. No problem if you're in a saloon (195/60 lowered 60mm and its fine lol) , but you say you have a hatch so you WILL need smaller tyres.

areofall
07-10-08, 08:54 AM
If I get a set I put new 195/45/15 on them, will be hard to get a mint set locally her in NI but I'm in no panic as she'll be stored away over the winter.

Dod
07-10-08, 09:28 AM
They come up on www.jon44w.com/forum (http://www.jon44w.com/forum) from time to time.

As for the Nova Shell cracking, Never seen it but I have heard of front end Spread though, which isnt nice.

tom_beverley
07-10-08, 09:33 AM
As for the Nova Shell cracking, Never seen it but I have heard of front end Spread though, which isnt nice.

Almost as bad as rear end spread lol

Dod
07-10-08, 09:39 AM
Yeah but luckily enough with an Ageing Nova, its not really an issue. lol

craig green
07-10-08, 11:19 AM
My 1st Nova was cracked on the B-Pillar on the crease line at the base of the window. It was cracked through the panel, nothing to do with being lowered (it wasnt) or the vinyl. It was a common enough problem for GM to add a strengthening gusset behind it which is evident in my GSi.

Cesaro's will go on fine to a mk2 but obviously mk1's have a wider arch lip, so stand a slightly higher chance of catching. Typically though I say GM 15" alloys are the best choice tbh. Just choose tyre brand wisely to avoid the worst case scenario.

areofall
07-10-08, 11:13 PM
Probably use a quality tyre like yoko, Dunlop or Mitchlen.Will keep a eye on Jon 44, thanks!

Adam
08-10-08, 04:09 PM
Tyre choice is important as to whether they'll rub or not. Even tyres of the same profile, have different shape sidewalls etc.

Ive had mine down 90mm, and get pretty much no rubbage, and thats with original arches too(not rolled etc)

areofall
08-10-08, 09:41 PM
What tyres were you running, Adam?

General Baxter
08-10-08, 09:52 PM
i win the cracking debate, high power diesels FTW :D

dont try and jam 415Lb thru an rotten shell lol

this crack went all the way round lol
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/novatd/IM000411.jpg

and a brand new cross member 3 days old lol
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/novatd/IM000391.jpg