PDA

View Full Version : homemade uprated engine mounts

adam c
06-10-08, 05:14 PM
im thinking about toughening up my original engine mounts up but dont know what to use?i have been told to pack the old mounts with bits of old exhaust rubber and then put some sealer into the rest of the holes but what sealer do i use?i have seen some polyurethane based sealer for wood in b&q(would that be okay?)also is it possible to do it with the mounts on the car?

many thanks adam:thumb:

meritlover
06-10-08, 05:16 PM
is there a reason you really have to do this?

theres every chance the mounts you have are more than 20 years old, and replacing them with new OE items would more than likely be perfectly adequate for even the highest of tuned engines.

loggyboy
06-10-08, 05:17 PM
I used a marine sealant called Sikaflex, A firm favourite is Tiger seal. I wouldnt bother with the inserting of objects. I dont see the benefit of this as the way nova mounts are shaped, any object inserted would be in an area of tension rather than compression.

is there a reason you really have to do this?

theres every chance the mounts you have are more than 20 years old, and replacing them with new OE items would more than likely be perfectly adequate for even the highest of tuned engines.

You dont have to do it at all. Its mainly done because the standard mounts are designed for comfort over performance, yes the standard ones would work, but the uprated ones would perform better from a performance over comfort point of view.

BIGS
06-10-08, 05:20 PM
thats all i done with mine, just filled them with tiger seal and the engine dont move

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/2ltr/2ltrbits071.jpg

Adam
06-10-08, 05:23 PM
As above. Just use tigerseal/sikaflex.

I did mine well over a year ago, and there still fine, and are much firmer than standard unfilled mounts.

adam c
06-10-08, 05:34 PM
thanks for the reply's!i'll go to b&q tommorow and have a look for some.can you do it with the engine mounts still on the car?

BIGS
06-10-08, 05:40 PM
no you will have to take them off. and then put them somewhere nice and warm to set faster

but tigerseal dont take long to set anyway

Pistol Pete
06-10-08, 05:40 PM
Probably bet to do them with the mounts off the car TBH. The mounts wont be under any load.

Adam
06-10-08, 05:52 PM
Aye, mounts need be off. And the sealent will take a fair while to dry, as you have to apply a lot of it to fill the gaps. I left mine for about 2week before using them.

B&Q dont sell tigerseal/sikaflex, try ebay or a motor factors. Its about £10 a tube too

craig green
06-10-08, 08:15 PM
I did mine with some instant gasket stuff from Toolstation thats about £2.50 for the tube. Definately makes a huge improvement, in fact the whole car shakes & squeaks to the lumpy tickover.

Mike
06-10-08, 08:20 PM
Tigerseal? Silkaflex?

Use something called "GripFil" :thumb:

meritlover
06-10-08, 10:18 PM
chewing gum

ck
07-10-08, 04:51 PM
gripfill no chance!!!

sikaflex isnt too great to be honest, when you fill the mounts the sikaflex is too thick and takes weeks to set properly inside.

i used tiger seal (says exactly that on the tube) £7 a tube and that sets perfectly in a day or two.

my advice is to neatly wrap one side of each mount in a piece of bin liner, fill the mount and smooth the sealant onto the liner nice a smooth.flat. once set you can peel the liner straight off for a nice clean and smooth finish... i fill mine right out to the egde of each mount, and then to just below of the mounting surfaces.

Mike
07-10-08, 05:02 PM
gripfill no chance!!!

Wouldnt knock it until youve tried it chap ;)

ck
07-10-08, 05:52 PM
might aswell just mix up a load of epoxy resin and fill them with that. you still want some give and grip fill sets pretty much solid as in rock solid.

each to their own hey

Rexy
07-10-08, 07:38 PM
lmfbo at all these brand names, Stop being cheap and buy proper stuff or shut up moaning Im going to use bathroom sealer

burgo
07-10-08, 07:53 PM
might aswell just mix up a load of epoxy resin and fill them with that. you still want some give and grip fill sets pretty much solid as in rock solid.

each to their own heywhy do you want some give? i want proper solid mounts but they are £130 so if grip fill set solid thats the best for me

Rexy
07-10-08, 09:08 PM
If you want soild burrrrrrgo, get out the welder like i did with the xsara :D and make your own my son...

SOlid mounts make the drive bloooooody aweful and you feel everything, anything etc.

Mounts are there to stop cabin noise, and aid in comfort, They have nothing to do with holding the engine in place whatso ever... :P

burgo
07-10-08, 11:44 PM
rexton youve seen my car bud, comfort is the last thing on my list lol