PDA

View Full Version : What an evening!! :-(

SharonSR
27-10-02, 12:29 AM
Well what an evening I had! Was going to KFC as normal for a Saturday with my boyriend (as I'm only a leaner), got half way there, when the stereo went off, all the lights dimmed, some other electrics just stopped! So there I am, driving down the road with no headlights and rev counter, luckily I wasn't too far from a petrol station. The engine was still running, but we switched it off to check belt tension and earths, etc, but it wouldn't start again, not enough power! So we left her there and got a lift back and got the boyfriends Astra. Went and got KFC (ate it in the petrol station!) Tried the car and she started frist time! Tasty! Went to drive home with my boyfriend's mate following, but got less then a mile down the road before the lights etc started to dim again, but this time the engine starts backfiring and then loses all power! Just managed to limp off the main road. So tonight my poor car is spending the night in a car park all alone, with only a Cavalier for company. :( Hopefully it's just the battery thats gone and maybe the alternator. Will let you know tomorrow when I get her back here, and give her a thorough examination (if the rain ever stops!!).

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

carltoncrazy
27-10-02, 12:47 AM
awwwwww,
hope it aint 2 expensive 2 fix
if its gonna cost da bomb get ya man 2 pay

Breeny
27-10-02, 01:37 AM
Good luck, it does sound like a charging problem. :(

Chris LR
27-10-02, 01:44 AM
If it's any help I pulled the ciggy lighter and that popped a number of fuses and fcuked my alternator

SharonSR
27-10-02, 03:39 PM
you read my mind that's just what i was thinking, however did change the alternator and only just got her back home, before it happend again,

anymore ideas please?

Breeny
27-10-02, 05:00 PM
Battery, fan belt slipping?, earth leads from alternator, any connections on the alternator bracket (i.e. washers, screws etc make sure there not arcing - mine had this problem) Starter motor (lights dimming is a sign of starter motor problems) Put a post in technical, i'm sure someone will have some better ideas than me.

GR
27-10-02, 09:28 PM
I'd lay money on a flat battery.

wisewood
27-10-02, 09:42 PM
I had proper flat battery in mine before, and it wouldn't start, but once you give it a shove (which is a pain on your own after work) and bump it started the alternator was strong enough to run the car, and slightyl charge the battery enough to hold a charge for an hour or so when stood if you leave it alone for a bit.
So i wouldn't think it was hte battery... could be though i suppose.

Chris LR
27-10-02, 10:39 PM
I'd go with a loose alternator connection, did u hit anything, go over any curbs?

SharonSR
28-10-02, 10:48 PM
No i didn't hit anything, and theres a new battery in place, so I know its got to be something to do with the alternator, however I did put a 65A on there to get her home, but just didn't seem to be charging the battery,

any other ideas i can add to the list?

?Marty?
29-10-02, 12:56 AM
Micky's hedgehog might have escaped and got trapped in the mechanicals somewhere!
Find it and release it from it's entrapment. The poor bugger might have a brother or sister and could also be cold, so you might have to use your hands and lips to warm them up.