PDA

View Full Version : CAR WONT START-tried everything in guide!

bob
26-10-02, 06:26 PM
having problems getting my car to start,it wont fire! :x Ive had new leads,rotor arm plugs, over the past week, but it just wudnt fire today,well,it did,roared to life,I thought"yay!" but then it just died,n wudnt fire at all! theres current going to the coil,and out,but its losing it somewhere,wot do you thinks wrong peeps? please help!

Dicko
26-10-02, 07:06 PM
well is there a spark on the plugs?
take 1 out as shown in the manual and leave it near the body work or engine, and see if it sparks when u turn the engine over. if it doesnt then there is prob with dizzy/leads/coil. if it does then you obviously got a fuel problem, either a blocked jet, or blocked filter, or maybe a pump problem.
We could probably get this sorted for you m8 but u WILL ned to tell us a little more.

carltoncrazy
26-10-02, 07:55 PM
take plugs out,if they dont spark,r they clog up with shit?
did u put the leads on in the right order?
silly thing but do u have an imboliser?
if u get feul and spark,
carb or injection?

MattyWoo
26-10-02, 09:12 PM
I had the same sort of problem on my motor today, i took a plug out and it was soaked for some reason, so i took them all out put them in the oven for a coupla minutes, put them back in and it went straight away.

CP
26-10-02, 09:48 PM
Take all the plugs out. clean and dry them. Turn the engine over on the starter can you smell petrol from the vapours outta the plugholes? Not sure? Replace the plugs and turn engine over again - have several goes and turn it for like 5-10 secs each time. Take a plug out - is it wet with petrol? if its still well dry you have probably got fuel starvation.

was it going OK b4 and if so what has happened in the meantime?
Got fuel OK? Have u thoroughly dried the dizzy cap? Are all leads on in correct order? Have you tried to get a spark form one of the plugs? Have you tried the same test with HT lead onto the block (BE CAREFUL :!: )? Is cam belt still timed up OK? Is the ignition wire to the dizzy connected up OK??

bob
27-10-02, 04:06 PM
no sparks seem to be coming from the coil,tried replacement coil,still having none of it, funny thing is, it roared to life first time I tried it,bruuuuum brummmmmm!(me revving it) then as soon as I took my foot off,it died,did the same yestday.Gonna try another dizzy tomoro,will be a bit annoyed if it is this,cos I bort that dizzy new not long ago!

brian
27-10-02, 05:09 PM
what engine is it? if its a gsi/gte check yer fuel pump relay(they go give trouble at times) this relay also pulses the injectors.
if its an sr or somethin change the lift pump.

bob
27-10-02, 07:15 PM
its a 1400SR engine,and its not getting sparks from after the coil,so I think the dizzy could be to blame.try getting another dizzy tomoz,otherwise Im stumped :(

dex
04-11-02, 01:07 PM
Try a healthy coat of WD40 around the dizzy and leads or take points out and clean them on a wet stone