PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Alternators.

NovaLad
05-10-08, 04:35 PM
Ok with me having a high powered system in my car i am soon going to need to get a bigger alternator and a yellow top battery soon as poss.

I havn't the foggiest about the alternator side at all e.g. where to get 1, which 1 to get and how to fit it.

Any help on this subject would help me alot thanks.

djbrowney
05-10-08, 04:37 PM
not to sure on the alternator subject mate but when you need your optima battery can get hold of blue tops give me a pm

Shaun_O'Donnell
05-10-08, 04:38 PM
Have you considered getting a power cap?

AlexW
05-10-08, 04:42 PM
If you decide to change the alternator i would suggest looking at astra's, corsa's but you may need to change the bottom pully like i was going to.

Adam
05-10-08, 04:45 PM
Just get a larger alt off a astra/cav(70-100amp, nova one is 55amp)
And get a battery off a diesel. I think a cav td one is the biggest that fits a nova battery tray

You dont need one of these uprated battery efforts

NovaLad
05-10-08, 05:06 PM
Just get a larger alt off a astra/cav(70-100amp, nova one is 55amp)
And get a battery off a diesel. I think a cav td one is the biggest that fits a nova battery tray

You dont need one of these uprated battery efforts

I do trust me...

I'm going for a bigger competition sub soon as this 1 is sold.

Never heard of blue tops just yellow and red...

Are blue tops better?

Adam
05-10-08, 05:16 PM
Plus battery is irrelevant when the engines running ;)
As the alt powers the whole car.

So you dont need one, unless you want to sit with the engine off and the stereo on

Welsh Dan
05-10-08, 06:05 PM
I exchanged one of my old ones for a 70A one at a local motor factors that rebuilds them.

NovaLad
05-10-08, 06:13 PM
Plus battery is irrelevant when the engines running ;)
As the alt powers the whole car.

So you dont need one, unless you want to sit with the engine off and the stereo on

Yeah i'm after sitting with the engine off and stereo on as i mite be going to some db drags etc...

If i sit with music on with engine off atm the car norm won't start after about 40 mins or so.

mowgli
05-10-08, 06:40 PM
Yeah i'm after sitting with the engine off and stereo on as i mite be going to some db drags etc...

If i sit with music on with engine off atm the car norm won't start after about 40 mins or so.

sounds like you need a split charger unit & a second battery.... like caravanners have...

NovaLad
05-10-08, 06:42 PM
sounds like you need a split charger unit & a second battery.... like caravanners have...

Yeah forgot to mention that once i have a yellow top or other better battery i am split charging so still keeping original battery in for starting the car etc...

mikey14sr
05-10-08, 07:35 PM
I exchanged one of my old ones for a 70A one at a local motor factors that rebuilds them.

That's what i did, 70A from a 1.6 8v mk3 astra.

NovaLad
06-10-08, 12:42 AM
How much of a difference has it made Mikey?

mikey14sr
06-10-08, 06:45 PM
Combined with an 065 (nova/astra TD) size battery I never noticed the lights dimming at all. The bigger batery also helped a good bit when I had a dodgy fuel pump (mechanical), definately turned the engine over for longer than the 063 did. Tbh though I wasn't really straining the electrics that much, the only extra load was my two amps (total fuse rating of 50A) and the foglights (15A fuse on each one).