PDA

View Full Version : cam drives

pob
05-10-08, 12:28 AM
I've been offered a high lift cam with a slot drive from an older 1.6 8V distributor engine.
Will this fit my more modern c16se mpi map sensor/coil pack engine?

I'm guessing that it will as the cam doesn't turn anything anymore at that end on my engine.

An older distributor cam will fit my engine; but my cam wont fit the older engine???

Can somebody confirm that this is correct or am I talking bo11ocks as usual??

Thanks,

gazsnova
05-10-08, 12:35 PM
yeah thats sounds about right what you are saying- your current c16se probably wont have a slot at the dissy end of a dissy drive. the high lift cam will fit into your c16se.

Adam
05-10-08, 12:38 PM
Yes thats correct.The c16se cam drives nothing, its just to open the valves.

You might want to check the spec of the cam though as "high lift cam" means naff all, and if the cam has quite a high duration etc, you will get engine running problems as the c16se ecu/map sensor doesn't really like them

pob
05-10-08, 01:37 PM
Is 285 too big for a standard map?

I've in the process of getting a head ported, boring out the 1.6TB to accept the 2.0L butterfly and a few other bits.

Most of these mods will create power up the rev range.
So I know that I'll need to get a modded ecu to raise the rev limit otherwise all the power I'm releasing will be unobtainable when the factory ecu stops at 6250.

Can the companies that write the maps change the timing to cope with such a cam?

Adam
05-10-08, 01:52 PM
Things like "superchips" are generic maps, so wont cater for any engine mods. But will raise the limiter.

You might be ok on 285, i wouldn't go any more than 285

pob
12-10-08, 02:43 PM
ok - i've given up th idea of a really high lift so:-

Is the GSi camshaft a "sportier :confused:"? profile than a standard camshaft from any of the other 1.6 engines, in my case a 1993 MPi C16se from an Astra GLi?

What i'm trying to ask is; as I have a preprogrammed ecu, is it a good upgrade from the standard cam without buying a wild cam that the ecu cant cope with?