PDA

View Full Version : Astra Mk4 Front Mud Flaps

Matt
04-10-08, 01:36 PM
Recently bought a set of Astra mudflaps for the Nova and fitted the rear ones fine. I fitted the front ones but on full lock it caught the tyre and just pulled them straight off. So I've trimmed the fronts so they wont catch anymore.

However I can only get them to sit straight with the top part of the clamp on. The bottom part ofthe clamp has no wing to clamp onto when they're straight as they don't seem to follow the line of a Nova wing. The only way I can get both parts of the clamp securely on is to the have the mudflap sitting at a rediculous angle. Need them properly clamped on as I don't think it will be long before they come off again with them only half on. Hope that makes sense? I've seen a few people using these and don't seem to have any problems, so what am I doing wrong?

Want mine like this really...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/novawip072.jpg?t=1214778198

Matt

Adam
04-10-08, 01:38 PM
Mine are fine, and dont catch at all.

What wheels/tyres do you have on?

Matt
04-10-08, 01:43 PM
MO's (6J) with 195/ 45 Tyres...

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/mattmdavies/IMG_1001.jpg

Adam
04-10-08, 01:48 PM
Hmm, same wheel size/tyres are me then.
And as said, mine are fine

Adam
04-10-08, 01:51 PM
Actually, looking at an old pic of yours
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/mattmdavies/IMG_0892.jpg

My mudflaps are different, mine are thinner at the top, might explain why mine fit fine.

Matt
04-10-08, 01:51 PM
Hmmm, strange. You can see they're sitting fine there but only being held on by the top part of the clamp :tard:

Adam
04-10-08, 01:52 PM
And mine are clamped on with both of the clamp bolts

Matt
04-10-08, 01:53 PM
Actually, looking at an old pic of yours
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/mattmdavies/IMG_0892.jpg

My mudflaps are different, mine are thinner at the top, might explain why mine fit fine.

Yer they're my old 'proper' Nova flaps but one came off so got a new set of the Astra ones which I'm struggling with now.

Adam
04-10-08, 01:54 PM
Oh right, HMM

Matt
04-10-08, 05:21 PM
Well got them fitted on as well as I could, went to get some feul, came back, checked, and the passanger side one has gone lol What a waste of time. There's either something gay about my car or something gay about the mudflaps that means they wont stay on.

The whole clip-on design by vaux is flimsy to start with I think. May get some more and drill and bolt them onto the front wings when I can be ****d. That's the only way to do the job properly I think.

white2lSR
04-10-08, 05:54 PM
Real men dont use mud flaps :thumb:

Matt
04-10-08, 06:00 PM

How often do you venture out into the countryside down all the sh1tty back roads lol ? I have to quite alot and am sick of washing loads of crap off my car. Things are only going to get worse with winter coming up!

Adam
04-10-08, 06:02 PM
There actually very handy to have.
Stop crap flying all up the doors/wings, also stops stones getting chucked up off the wheels and chipping the front edge of the wings ;)

Nick J
04-10-08, 06:19 PM
Mine are fitted just using the standard vauxhall clamps and I dont have a problem even when using my 6.5J allesios, I think it must just be down to your positioning? Or possibly due to the fact that the flaps are indeed not mk4 astra items?

Matt
04-10-08, 06:33 PM
Mine are fitted just using the standard vauxhall clamps and I dont have a problem even when using my 6.5J allesios, I think it must just be down to your positioning? Or possibly due to the fact that the flaps are indeed not mk4 astra items?

I thought it must be me positioning them wrong but I actually had the wheel off dismorning to see exactly what I was doing and even then I couldn't get them to sit straight with them full clamped on. If I had them properly clamped with a good grip the mud flap would stick out at a stupid angle!

I've just checked the packaging and it says suitable for corsa, corsa combo, cavalier and omega. Hmmm, think they might have got me the wrong ones even though I ordered Astra G ones! :roll: I've got the back ones on and they look eactly the same as the astra items.

white2lSR
04-10-08, 07:04 PM
How often do you venture out into the countryside down all the sh1tty back roads lol Things are only going to get worse with winter coming up!

never. car wont be out in the wet if i can help it :thumb:

Matt
04-10-08, 07:07 PM
And you call yourself a real man :roll: lol

Lee H
06-10-08, 10:00 PM
I've had this problem on both my cars. Mine are held on with the bottom clamp and not the top one. It depends on the postioning, I have to have mine really far up as the car is so low. I also drilled and self tappered them to the arch liner as my wheels caught them on full lock.

vaughanmc
08-10-08, 10:42 PM
And you call yourself a real man :roll: lol

lol

The front ones on my car face in the way and so do my mates and they are both Mk4 Astra items

Back ones sit perfect though

In a kind of representation they sit like this / *drivers side* If that makes sense

Riggy
09-10-08, 05:03 PM
are you useing mk4 astra front flaps ?

should be using 2 sets of rear ones ,and like lee said just drill and tap them in

vaughanmc
09-10-08, 05:38 PM
No idea what they are - There the same as on the front as whats on the back

Like a clamp with 2 wee nuts to tighten it ?