PDA

View Full Version : Would it affect?

AlexW
02-10-08, 12:20 PM
Few questions about what i could do to my nova without voiding the insurance. I was told that i could fit things from a GSi nova without it affecting the insurance as its standard nova items?

I was thinking of putting in things like the Astra Gte seats i have, but wanted to make sure 1st.

craig green
02-10-08, 12:35 PM
Anything that modifies the spec of a std car is deemed as a modification, even down to slightly wider tyres on the std wheels etc.

IMO there are things that you could keep quiet about & not mention on a forum/public place like seats etc. But it all boils down to the fact that insurance companies tend to do everything in there power to avoid a payout in the event of an accident/claim.

Cover your back & declare all mods. In some cases the price wont change & I've even heard of cars with lots of home fitted mods that actually save you money, however this likely applies to slightly older car owners (in there 20's?)

Jack
02-10-08, 12:44 PM
Anything that it didn't leave the factory with is a mod, aside from consumables (i.e. liquids and tyres), and should be declared.

Even factory options - such as alloy wheels, e/w, etc - should also be declared. I've heard of Celica G7 owners who have premium packs added at time of purchase having to pay more on insurance.

[edit] By factory options I mean the optional stuff from vauxhall, added when the car was first bought. For example, I believe a GTE as standard came with steel wheels, but had alloys as an option. If you have a GTE with the standard alloys then you should declare them. However, all GSi's came with alloys, so no need to declare them if you have a GSi.

This may not be the case for all insurance companies, but as usual its up to you to ask, not them to tell you, so check!

AlexW
02-10-08, 12:49 PM
hmmm, im not paying much now anyways. If i ever killed the car i dont think i would bother claiming too.

I doubt i will bother with the seats as it would mean mucking about with the rear 60/40 split. But things like the 3spokes i guess i will have to declare, guess i should have thought about that before i took out the insurance a week ago. Things like the GSI front bumper i could get away with tho surly?

Jack
02-10-08, 12:54 PM
You may be lucky, you may not be. Is it worth the risk though, if you accidentally plough into someone and the insurance assessor just happens to know what a Nova should look like? Is it worth having to pay out for the repairs, get prosecuted for driving without insurance and have that IN10 conviction on your license? I know its unlikely, but there's a chance...

TBH, you insurance company probably won't care as you're just adding parts from another Nova, so its not like you're making it insanely outlandish, but always check. They may need to charge you a nominal fee just to update your insurance certificate, so be it, at least you're covered properly.

Pistol Pete
02-10-08, 12:56 PM
Probably not. IF in the event of an accident, an inspecter comes to view the car and sees a non standard front bumper, seats, whatever he will report back and the insurance company will just declare your insurance null and void. As has been said, they do anything to avoid a payout!!

EDIT: too slow!!

AlexW
02-10-08, 01:21 PM
Hmm, il give them a call next week probs.

white2lSR
02-10-08, 01:22 PM
They always ask 'has the car been modified in any way?' , if you answered no to this and you have done modifications then you have commited fraud. Any accident resulting in a claim made against you and they would probably refuse to pay out.

AlexW
02-10-08, 01:34 PM
I hadnt touched the car when i got the insurance. The wheeels were put on After i got the insurance.

Pistol Pete
02-10-08, 01:55 PM
Which they would class as a modification. Just ring them up and see what they say. Let us know aswell, be interesting to see what they say.

AlexW
02-10-08, 02:01 PM
I will do on Monday.

swedge
04-10-08, 02:52 PM
call insurance company and ask first