PDA

View Full Version : 1400-gte conversion more info please!

bob
25-10-02, 09:47 AM
As everyone will know,Im doing this conversion from a carbed 1400 to a 1600i gte lump asap, I am getting my petty tank(finally) on sunday,and it has an almost new sender on it,couple this to my lump,gte gbox,wiring loom,ecu,starter,coil,driveshafts alterntator etc,and i think its almost ready to drop in,wot do you peeps think?
wot Im planning on doing is getting the engine mated up with the gbox,and maybe the air flow meter etc, and when I have a lil time,the old 1400 is coming unbolted etc,and lifted out,then the gte lumps going in its place,same petrol tank wise.This is the wasy part I think,but I dont have any of the zorst system cept the manifold,can anyone help me out with 2nd hand standard stuff or tell me ruff price for full standard system???
I have also been told I need a different throttle cable,could I steal one off an astra gte or cav Sri? and are the heater matrix'different? with all this wired up,all I need to do then is figure out how to get the fuel return valve,sender etc,to mate up with the engine etc,HELP! cos I dont really know the first thing bout this sorta thing,all Ive usually done is unbolted something,and replaced it for another,almost exactly the same!

CP
25-10-02, 02:39 PM
I think you sound about set up. Got good trolley jack/ blocks of wood/ axle stands etc?? Without a hoist etc I think most peeps tend to support the engine with a jack from below and then lift the car up so it can all be pulled out from underneath.
You can drop the old engine/gearbox out complete without having to take too much off the engine really - you'll soon see. We tend to disconnect the tie bars and track control arms from where they are mounted to the subframe/chassis which allows you to pull the wheels out and pop the driveshafts out more easily without having to eff about taking the drive shafts out of the front wheel hubs. If you do this there is more room to allow the engine and gear box thru as well:) Re-fitting is simply the reverse process. If you've got your Haynes handy that should cover most things and then its a case of just having a go and learning as you go along really. Heater matrix etc are all interchangeable between the 2 engines. The only thing you might need to mod a bit are hose lengths and as you say the throttle. Its not too difficult really as both engines/ gearboxes are very similar and nearly all external components are shared.

Main thing is be careful and work safely. Make sure it is securely chocked so it cant roll about and that everything is securely supported at all times cos you have to be shoving and pulling at things.

Good luck :D

Dicko
25-10-02, 07:30 PM
a few things to clear up (coming from somebody that has personally done this conversion, and other conversions into same car!!!
you do not need the GTE shafts, if you do use them you will also need to swop over the hubs, waste of time!!!
Make sure you have the gearbox attached and lift it up from the bottom, you will cuase damage going in from the top i can almost assure you!!
you will need to gte 2 sensor plugs if they are different than on your sr, 1 for the tank sendor, and 1 for the gearbox sender.
u wont need to modify the pipes in anyway, just make sure they are all there and in good condition before you fit the engine!
make sure there is sufficient oil in the gearbox before you cover any great distance!
Im taking it you are just swoping the engine loom, and therfor will have a plug on the loom, that wont mate up to anything on your loom, if u wanna make it look neat klet me know cuz i have a spare loom plug from a GTE that u could wire upto ur main loom to make things easier
I would remove the dizzy and alternator before fitting engine but its all upto you!