PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Meffed Off.

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-10-08, 12:23 AM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Right ok most of you probally know how many problems i've had with my 1.6 turbo. For the ones that dont, cracked piston/rings 200 miles after i bought the car. Right before i go on hol, come back to 1k of parts/labour bills.

Recently, my FPR (fuel pressure regulator) has been playing up.. or thought it has. Had chris astley look at it, Said vaccum pipes need rewiring, so got that done. Works, i used the car (all working perfectly) for about 100-200 miles.

Now every so ofen Whilst im driving, it decides to cut out. Today its been into the garage, Changed the Battery, new adjustable fuel reg (set to 3.5 bar). The mechanic brought it to work for me.. i go to take it home at 11pm not even a mile down road, it goes again. Started working after getting pish wet through at side of road . Got nearly home, goes again.. managed to roll about 700 yards to my front tho, :cool:. Now its sat on front, Starts first time every time.

WTF :confused::confused::confused:!

When it goes, it doesnt make a noise. Just stops producing anything until it comes to a stop. Sometimes takes 30 secs to come back on, sometimes takes hours, or days? It's like it only works when it feels like it.

Any help would be much apreciated and Helpful.
The sooner i spend more money in getting this car perfect again, the sooner i can sell it. Had enough of this 'High performance High maintainiance' Bull shirt.

Ben
01-10-08, 12:29 AM
Bad earth or connection is all it can be.

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-10-08, 12:34 AM
Hmm ok, ill check every wire under the bonnet tomorrow. Surely all these problems cant be down to that o.O.
If a funking wire has cost me all this time/money/no transport, id seriously be considering an overdose lol.

Cheers for the fast reply mate :thumb:.

craig green
01-10-08, 11:38 AM
Sounds like the trouble I had with my 8v GSi. The coil was being overloaded & it would break down under load. If allowed to cool off it would go again.

Check the plug gaps, leads arent arcing out & dizzy cap is OK/good.

Do you have a round coil or square coil?

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-10-08, 12:59 PM
Round coil mate, the mechanic said the leads etc was fair loose. The dizzy and ht leads look fairly new, and it has them 'super 4's' in, but i havent had a problem since i put them in after the rebuild, until now. Cheers another thing to check :thumb:

craig green
01-10-08, 01:43 PM
Just check the plug gaps arent too large, look for signs of arcing on the ends of the leads (black depeosits), likewise inspect the inside of the dizzy cap for worn pickups or arcing.

If any of the gaps are too big, the voltage in the HT system has to rise to jump a bigger gap. This higher voltage can cause the ign module or coil to shutdown if it gets too hot.

I assume theres no fault codes?

burgo
01-10-08, 02:48 PM
if you do a google search on bosch super 4's you will find very few threads recommending them and actually threads saying how crap they are. imo properly gapped ngkr's are the best. but i suppose its like anything else people prefere different things

craig green
01-10-08, 04:05 PM
Just gapping some multi electrode plugs is a pain in the harris.

Many of these products simply rely on cunning marketing to sell them.
remember when 'splitfires' were on everyones spec sheet?

tom_beverley
01-10-08, 04:15 PM
Can't go far wrong with NGK in my opinion but no matter what you use, as said, check the gap.

craig green
01-10-08, 04:23 PM
Its not just plag gaps either. When mine was dying when it got warm, we found the ign system was pulling 24,000 volts. Norm is like 15,000volts.

It was all due to poor fitting HT leads & old plugs.

Adam
01-10-08, 05:10 PM
Aye, could be coil/dizzy related.

Bosch super 4s are crap, as are all multi electrode plugs. The only reason for them is they last longer inbetween service intervals because the spark has multiple paths to jump across, so when one electrode is wearing down, it'll start to arc across to the next electrode(it takes the easiest route)

Whereas single electrodes only have one path to take.

GRUNT 16V
01-10-08, 10:10 PM
as above bosch super 4s are dog sh1te ngks all the way

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-10-08, 11:38 PM
ok, thnx guys. Not had time to take it anywhere.. as im working nights everyday. But it would seem the majority think its the spark plug department.. i took all leads off today.. quick spray with wd40.. to rid of any possible moisture. When i get chance i will get a set of ngk plugs, and get somebody to check the coil/dizzy for me.

Feel mucho better now that i (you lot) might of found the problem, i didnt even know where to point tbh.

1.6 8v turbo nova
03-10-08, 04:18 PM
checked sparkplugs today, one of the ht leads have gone loose, keeps poping off.. causing it to 'arc out', Also the earth lead on the rocker cover was fraid and loose. So put a thick earth cable on it.

Ordered a new set of ht leads, dizzy cap, and rotory arm. Coming 9:30am, so that should work a treat. Cars running now.. been pottering around in it and im gonna go work in it too. i dont trust this car tho.. but it seems better.

burgo
03-10-08, 05:42 PM
just dont put it under any real load until youve got the new bits fitted

1.6 8v turbo nova
05-10-08, 11:48 AM
Got the parts.. told guys on phone mine was the newer engine.. c16se.. Parts came for older version of the engine.. So i gotta wait until monday to get the parts. Fingers crossed they should fix my problem :).

1.6 8v turbo nova
07-10-08, 11:34 PM
Hi all, got the parts (they was too short) so i waits another day.. wahooo the correct lenth and sytle ht leads. Worked a treat.. been cruising around to work etc. just coming home then.. i put my foot down in 2nd, 3rd then boom goe's again. waits 5 min, it started and runs fine.

So this makes me think my coil is funked? and under proper load it decides to stop working?

Confuddled AGAIN lol.
And i'd like to thank all of you what pointed me in the right direction last time.. it fixed it lol.
Cheers nova einsteins :)

Ben
07-10-08, 11:34 PM
earths

1.6 8v turbo nova
08-10-08, 01:03 AM
i changed the earth on my head. How would a earth cut engine out under full load, and not half/tickling it?

Ben
08-10-08, 10:48 AM
The connection could be breaking down, when the engines hot it might not sit flush, just add a couple extra earths from the turret to block/gearbox etc and try it again.

craig green
08-10-08, 01:08 PM
Earth the alternator brkt to the -ve battery terminal.

When the engine comes on song it will be asking the most of the electrical system, if theres not a good enough earth for the extra current, it will break down & cause misfires etc.