PDA

View Full Version : Fitting external 2.0 fuel pump HELP!!!!!!

sparkie1401
30-09-08, 08:16 PM
where and how should the 2.0 external fuel pump be fitted on the Nova

how difficult is it?

i have a 2.0 16v Nova with a SPI fuel tank so i need to fit the 2.0 fuel pump i have several in my garage and a new barcket to mount it on, just need a push in the right direction

im not very confident about doing this myself?

any help, tips, guides, pics would be really helpful

thanks everyone

Paul
30-09-08, 11:11 PM
external fuel pump is gravity fed to the pump then the pump pushes the fuel up to the bay, so you will need to change the tank for a MPI one.

Other option is an internal pump from something like a Vectra, but you have to do some mods to the bottom by shortening it to make it fit in the tank.

Nova_Tek
01-10-08, 11:21 AM
I may be totally wrong but IIRC, havent some people placed the pump in the bay?

Not the best method but think its been done, the pump sucks fuel from the inlet pipes.

Dunno if anyone here can confirm that its been done but it springs to mind.

Paul
01-10-08, 11:45 AM
I may be totally wrong but IIRC, havent some people placed the pump in the bay?

Not the best method but think its been done, the pump sucks fuel from the inlet pipes.

Dunno if anyone here can confirm that its been done but it springs to mind.

Carb engines, use a suction pump driven from the cam.

With a 2.0 you need high pressuse, as per my response.

craig green
01-10-08, 11:50 AM
As above. Either get the MPi tank from a GTE or SRi etc & use an external pump mounted to the chassis leg with a gravity fed supply or get an SPi tank & use an in-tank MPi pump from a mk3 Astra or Vectra etc. The cradle will need modding to fit the pump in the Nova SPi tank.

novarobbo
01-10-08, 12:04 PM
i know this is quite a bodge but my 2.0 nova was running with a spi tank using the spi pump to feed the 2.0 pump.. dont ask me how it worked lol it just did :tard:

hendrix
01-10-08, 12:44 PM
Sort of lol.

novarobbo
01-10-08, 07:29 PM
but it actually worked.. :confused: some how lol

Adam
01-10-08, 07:32 PM
Did you drive it hard?

it will run, but will be massively under fueling the engine.

belly257
01-10-08, 07:32 PM
i was running a spi tank with an daewoo mpi internal fuel pump, mounted with six bolts, it ran fine used abit of fuel tho:) and i didn't have to modify the fuel pump in any way

novarobbo
01-10-08, 07:38 PM
Did you drive it hard?

it will run, but will be massively under fueling the engine.

yes.. lol resulting in this unfortunatly

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/cavvie/marcs/SP_A0031.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/cavvie/marcs/SP_A0032.jpg

and then i put it in my grey nova and it still ran for another 6-7 months fine with a fair bit of usage.. managed to rip the front tie bar mount of.. so must of been running fairly well

novarobbo
01-10-08, 07:39 PM
oh and i learnt since then

Nova_Tek
01-10-08, 07:51 PM
Carb engines, use a suction pump driven from the cam.

With a 2.0 you need high pressuse, as per my response.

Yes I know, what I am saying is that Im pretty sure someone somewhere used the high pressure fuel pump, mounted it in the bay and fed the pump from the inlet pipe coming from the tank then high pressure to the engine.

Thats what I was on about. Like I said not the best method but I recall seeing it.

sparkie1401
01-10-08, 07:59 PM
thanks all

tyhe reason i ask is in the conversion all it says is use a MPI tank or SPI with the 2.0 external fuell pump, so y would this be a bodge?

budget isnt a prob so should i buy a new MPI fuel tank from the gsi and then source a GSI sender unit / pump?

will tghis set still need the 2.o pump?

sparkie1401
01-10-08, 08:01 PM
isnt swapping everything to the nova MPI set up easier and the best way?

novarobbo
01-10-08, 08:30 PM
isnt swapping everything to the nova MPI set up easier and the best way?

imo yes but its not the easiest of things to get hold of

craig green
01-10-08, 08:34 PM
the reason i ask is in the conversion all it says is use a MPI tank or SPI with the 2.0 external fuell pump, so y would this be a bodge?

budget isnt a prob so should i buy a new MPI fuel tank from the gsi and then source a GSI sender unit / pump?

will this set still need the 2.0 pump?

You can't use the external pump with an SPi tank.

By all means use the proper tank & buy the proper pump.....

Yes (assuming 2.0 pump means MPi) you will need the 2.0 pump whatever you do. A multi point injection engine (4 injectors on 4 cyl) requires a high pressure fuel pump to deliver the fuel. An SPi pump doesnt provide sufficient pressure to run the engine properly.

All the correct info you need is in Black & white in this thread. You really need ask no more questions... :thumb: