PDA

View Full Version : choke issue help ??

donaldo89
30-09-08, 02:29 PM
i have recently bought a 1.4 8v sr were told this had an auto choke but for some reason manual was still there so this is making me wonder why the car just loses power and dies wont dile unless the flap on the carburator is held in the right position has to just had new fuel pump and fuel lines but upon inspection manual choke cable has appeared to have snapped will fit a new one today to see if this helps any advice would be very appreciated thanks:thumb:

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/donaldo89/PICT0169.jpg

AlexW
30-09-08, 03:04 PM
Auto chokes do play up from time to time, but from that picture it looks like that isnt the orignal engine (possibly a 1.2 before) and the choke cable is wraped up somwhere. Check the water hoses which connect to the Red circled thing below. The blue circle is one of the things that makes me think its not a standard engine, Not the wire, but the connector used. Plus the square cam cover amoung other things. But if you changed the engine ive just wasted 4mins of my time.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/Choke.jpg

tom_beverley
30-09-08, 03:12 PM
Also if its got a Pierberg 2e3 carb it may need a good clean/service, i.e remove jets and clean thoroughly, make sure all seals/gaskets are in good condition and replace if necessary.

If you can hold of hold one it may be worth changing to a Weber 32/34 DMTL carb as the 2e3 Pierbergs are notoriously poo, especially since the cold weather is coming.

donaldo89
30-09-08, 10:24 PM
just had a check was 1.2 merit previously now a 1.4 sr and has a disconnected choke aswell

craig green
02-10-08, 11:47 AM
If its got a manual choke, perhaps it already has a weber?

I never really paid much attention to mine when I had it, but SR's should come with a manual choked Pierburg carb, unless the carb is from a very esrly 1.3 SR which IIRC had manual chokes as they switched to the Pierburg 2E3 in 1986...

Asa-James
03-10-08, 12:07 AM
i personally never had problems with my pooberg 2e3. once it was set up properly, that is...