PDA

View Full Version : Tax Disc / Road Fund License Help

Andy_L
30-09-08, 02:21 PM
As I'm a pleb I've left it till the last minute to tax my car and have now left the documents I need at home. However I can tax it on line.

BUT

if I do this I'll be waiting for 5 days for the new disc to turn up so I can't drive the car on the road as it expires today.

Or can I as it'll be registered with the DVLA and paid for??

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif :tard:

Stoo
30-09-08, 02:33 PM
yes you can if it is in the post!

Pistol Pete
30-09-08, 02:35 PM
Not sure how the law stands on this. I'd agree with you, it'll be a tax disc pending so should be all legal, but then you get a police officer who doesnt want to play ball, may be difficult over the whole thing. Why not just pop in the post office and get the tax there and then?

EDIT: too slow! See Stoo's reply!

Stoo
30-09-08, 02:42 PM
print off the receipt and youll be reet

Jack
30-09-08, 03:32 PM
No! Its an offence not to DISPLAY a valid tax disc. Having a receipt for one is not an excuse, you must have it in your car.

No tax disc, no drive.

This is why I always get my road tax from my local post office, I don't trust the postal service lol

tom_beverley
30-09-08, 03:33 PM
No! Its an offence not to DISPLAY a valid tax disc. Having a receipt for one is not an excuse, you must have it in your car.

No tax disc, no drive.

This is why I always get my road tax from my local post office, I don't trust the postal service lol

:thumb:

jord4n
30-09-08, 05:05 PM
not true! i have been pulled for not displaying my tax disc and had the printed receipt and he said it was all fine.

just my 2p worth

jordan

Jack
30-09-08, 05:08 PM
The copper wasn't doing his job right then, or just let you off - he should have given you a VE10 ticket (failure to display tax disc). It IS an offence not to display a tax disc.

L14MNP
30-09-08, 05:14 PM

No tax disc, no drive.

What he said. An oudated law though, as with the advent of the tax database being computerised they now know if you have it or not as we all know. So if it is en route in the post you are legally taxed but not displaying. It's toss and needs updating!

Spudly
30-09-08, 05:14 PM
Jack is right the offence IS to not display but if you read up either on the dvla tax site, or in the new TV mag they now give you 5 days grace to allow for slow postal service so technically you can drive your car just if youre stopped by a jobsworth copper or reported by a traffic warden (which they can) you might find a fine for not displaying as obviously your car is taxed!

General Baxter
30-09-08, 05:36 PM
bah, you wont even get pulled, it will be on the police computer, thats its taxed moted and insured,

Andy_L
30-09-08, 09:25 PM
Well I left work early and got my disc so all ready for tomorrow.

Ta for the replies.