PDA

View Full Version : ice install help needed

Thundersmurf
30-09-08, 02:11 PM
I've never done an ice install before and don't know a thing about proper systems so can anyone help me?
currently my car has a fli 12 sub and an amp - not sure of size as they were in the car when i bought it.
it has a "tevion" head unit which I've been pleasantly surprised with and I've fitted some old wharfdale 6x9's.
I like the tevion because it has an sd slot and a usb slot too so I don't have to have loads of cd's in the car so I'd like to replace it with something similar.

I'm looking at getting a stealth shelf, but that is about as far as my inspration has taken me lol

Should I be looking at two amps? one for the sub and one for the speakers? if so what power should they be? my sub is 1000w I think...

should I go for component speakers?

what other stuff will i need?

sorry to be such a noob, any help would be appreciated :)

NovaLad
30-09-08, 05:46 PM
How many outputs does the head unit have?

Is the FLI sub 1 with an attached amp allready or 1 that needs a seperate amp?

If you want quality from your speakers don't fit them in the shelf.

The biggest components youcan fit in the front cards without pods is 5.25inch IIRC.

If you need a seperate amp for the sub then allways get an amp with same or more power.. never underpower a sub.

Allways if you can afford it, amp up speakers/components etc... as you wil get the best from them that way.

You are going to need a wiring kit... battery cable(red), remote(thin blue), earth(black, white, clear) and a set of RCA's.

If you need any help wiring this lot up then me and my mate will prob be able to do it for you in very little time as i have done it that much lol.

Any other questions/replies just posts um.

Jack
30-09-08, 05:50 PM
Part number for sub? You'll need to know the resistance as well as power ratings.

mikey14sr
30-09-08, 06:14 PM
A decent kenwood or alpine head unit will have a usb slot, probably hidden by the front panel, and will most likely also have at least two sets of pre-outs for sending signals to amps. I can thoroughly recommend spending a couple of hundred here (that's upto £400 if you go to halfords), I spent £275 (halfords price at the time was £390!) on my current HU nearly 6 years ago, and it's still a well appointed unit compared to newer stuff. At this price range the unit will most likely be compatible with mp3 and wma cd's, which means you can just burn the relevent files to cd and it'll still play in the car, it's one of the reasons I got the unit I have, and I've managed to squeeze 13 individual cd's worth of music onto just one disc!

Alternatively you could go down the route of building a dinky little computer for the car, but fabbing the touchscreen into a nova dash would take a lot of patience and wouldn't be to easily hidden.

Tidy Max
30-09-08, 06:22 PM
of course if you do 'squeeze' 13 cds onto one, you sacrafice sound quality... so theres no point in spending all that money on a system to play crap through it, but that goes for using a audio device such as an mp3 player (and playing mp3s through it)

personally i would fork out for the biggest memory stick possible and load up on the wma files

also and i know this doesnt go for everyone, its 6x9s OR a sub not both, just something to think about!

mikey14sr
30-09-08, 08:33 PM
of course if you do 'squeeze' 13 cds onto one, you sacrafice sound quality... so theres no point in spending all that money on a system to play crap through it, but that goes for using a audio device such as an mp3 player (and playing mp3s through it)

meh, SQ in a nova? Of course, that was back in the days when I only had access to 96kbs encoding, everythings been re-recorded at 320kbs now, with no noticable difference from the original cd's. Also, wma= Windows media player, which imo is an absolute ball-ache to get your head around, even the latest version is as user friendly as a block of soap in the prision showers.

Thundersmurf
30-09-08, 08:55 PM
right:
my current head unit has 2 rca outs i think
the sub is a fli trap 12inch passive sub(can't find a part number)
the HU plays wma's and i've already got a 2 gb flash drive which i use....

However I'm thinking of replacing the whole lot eventually so I'm open to all ideas..... I do want to keep most of it hidden though as I don't live in the best of areas and my car is parked on the street.....

couple of questions: why should I not use the shelf and, why should I use 6x9's OR a sub and not both?

Jack
01-10-08, 12:21 AM
6x9s aren't really needed if you have a sub; people generally only use them to add a little extra bass into the audio system. Of course if you have a sub, that will suffice for bass. Its also not recommended to mount speakers in a parcel shelf above a subwoofer, as the sub will be vibrating the air around the speakers, making them less effective.

thedjse
01-10-08, 09:07 AM
Thundersmurf i live in Ashton i've never seen you flying about unless you drive a black nova????

Im looking to wire up my sound system drop me a pm mate

Thundersmurf
01-10-08, 01:24 PM
nah mine's a crappy looking(at the mo) red one. I actually live in mossley now......but I work in ashton :)

I'll PM you my contact details - cheers

my car(the red one):
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e258/thundersmurf1/nova/SDC10037.jpg

NovaLad
01-10-08, 11:10 PM
Alex she works at the hollywood bowl thing i think as i have been down and seen it a few times...

It was down there that night i met you for them bits aswell.

As said if you need any help just ask...

I'm selling my sub aswell atm... KICKER L7 12INCH.

Thundersmurf
02-10-08, 12:16 AM
novalad - aren't you thining of my white nova?? I got a red one now.....
sold the white one tonight actually, was a bit sad to see her go.....

NovaLad
02-10-08, 12:24 AM
Yes the white 1.

I have seen it many of times at ashton cineworld carpark.

Riggy
03-10-08, 11:40 AM
has this red one got a kitted rear bumper , i seen a red one wehn i went bowling last week lol

Thundersmurf
06-10-08, 12:22 AM
a badly cut one around the rear bumper?? yeah that will be me lol