PDA

View Full Version : declaring my 1.6

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 11:46 AM
I feel a bit stupid asking butI havn't a clue!! I was just thinking about declaring my 1.6 8v cav engine in my nova but how do you do that?!! I don't know who to contact and stuff and i heard it needs to be checked by a mechanic :/ I've thought about this as I can now get insured on it but nothings declared. anyone good at explaining in simple terms hehe lol thank you!!!!!

Jack
30-09-08, 11:49 AM
Fill in the new engine number and capacity on the V5. Post to DVLA (look on the directgov website to get the right postcode, or do a search on here - I've said before what it is, but can't remember)

DVLA may write back and ask for proof of the engine conversion, in which case either go to Vauxhall and ask them to confirm (in writing) that engine number xyz is in car abc; OR have an RAC/AA inspection; OR have a garage give the car the OK (again, confirm in writing). Post confirmation to the DVLA.

Dod
30-09-08, 11:50 AM
Give the insurance Company a call and tell them you've been considering fitting a 1.6 engine and ask whats required to do it?

Fact is that by right you should have already done it.

Anyway, this is a tricky area as they might class it as a GTE/GSi and charge you that rate dispite of the fact that its probably no more powerful than a 1200 anyway. I say GSi/GTE it which shouldnt be a massive job.

Jack
30-09-08, 11:52 AM
DVLA first, then insurance. Assuming you're not driving it as an undeclared conversion at the moment.

tom_beverley
30-09-08, 11:57 AM
Too true, those 1.6 Cav engines are poop

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 12:08 PM
i didnt actually convert it and um yeh it is kind of undeclared at the momment hense me saying when i brought it i couldnt get insured. But i was looking at insuring it with adrian flux not with the people i'm with right now. So i guess i'll look on the dvla website. also it's not a bad mover that engine :) good enough to beat an astra sport at pod :P

Dod
30-09-08, 12:15 PM
Yeah but the Astras are Huge and Heavy and Crap.

Get a GTE Plant thrown in and get your moneys worth.

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 12:27 PM
i dont care about speed that much i just love my car. I cant change the engine myself. no one to do it :/

Jack
30-09-08, 12:32 PM
I'm sure someone local would help. Look at all the offers Lauren had to repair her car lol

Lee even went out of his way to help me fit my XE.

Dod
30-09-08, 12:36 PM
Exactly!

In fairness the majority of the users in here are Bollox's but they're decent when it comes to lending a hand.

stevie-p
30-09-08, 12:38 PM
if you have the 1600 8v lump cant you put twin 40 webbers an polish the head etc i thought they were nippy then ?

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 12:46 PM
it's 'nippy' to me. I like my car. Yeah, people are great here. I used to feel like a noob for asking stupid things but 'most' people are really nice. It's hard for me in Aylesbury as not many people have novas and i find the 'car lads' all chat rubbish about differnt things and don't have a clue about vauxhalls as most are peugot bummers. I had some random in a vectra come up to me the other day offering me 'parts' and saying how nice it was to see such a good looking nova about lol lol I spent a lot of time and care on my car as well so now registering it is the final step i feel,apart from the 50 mm springs then its done!:)

Dod
30-09-08, 12:47 PM
In that case fair play to you. Thats what its all about, having the car the way you want it. Well done. :thumb:

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 12:50 PM
Thank You!!!:)

I havnt done much in a while though just troubles with ex and stuff put me right off novas but only for a week lol

I cleaned my seats the other day,the water after was BLACK. I can't believe they were that dirty!

stevie-p
30-09-08, 12:53 PM
sorry random question how far is bucks from bristol? and do you have a pic of your car?

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 12:56 PM
hmm my mates at bristol uni um about 1 hour half maybe 2 at a push not too far. yeh pictures right there on my display thing,silver nova merit :)

stevie-p
30-09-08, 12:58 PM
hmm my mates at bristol uni um about 1 hour half maybe 2 at a push not too far. yeh pictures right there on my display thing,silver nova merit :)

another silly question have you been to bath in the past 3-4 months maybe longer ?? im not sure at all but i think i have seen the car driving around there before?:confused:

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 01:03 PM
nope!can't miss the girl wonder sticker and superman sticker :P

Dod
30-09-08, 01:03 PM
/\ Chav!! lol

stevie-p
30-09-08, 01:05 PM
ok lol cheers

stevie-p
30-09-08, 01:06 PM
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/9d/17/c7b2_1_b.JPG
little more suited ?? super lady

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 02:15 PM
aww i cant see the picture at work :( CHAV pfft more like geek lol

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 02:20 PM
ooo i can see it, i dont get it :tard:

Dod
30-09-08, 02:21 PM
lol

Ah God only knows.

Anyway, i think Carrie Girl Racer is the proper litrature.

carrie_girl_wonder
30-09-08, 02:34 PM
haha hell yes! As soon as I get in the nova i'm a totally diferent girl. had a little stand off at the traffic lights with a corsa other day,whooped his **** lol its cheesey but was satisfying:>

Dod
30-09-08, 02:43 PM
Uh oh, thats a quote that could make it into manys a sig. Edit FTW!!!