PDA

View Full Version : 1600 8v Block with 16v head?

SKoob
29-09-08, 01:50 PM
I've been thinking of the next engine upgrade for my car and i'm set on a small block 16v. I've already got a bottom end on my 1.6 8v thats not done many miles since it was rebuilt a few years ago and has been overbored to 1650cc, lightened, balanced and has arp rod bolts and was wondering if it would be just a case of swapping the pistons over to suit the 16v head or are there more differences?

craig green
29-09-08, 02:00 PM
Well done for mentioning the pistons arent the same...

You might find the belt & tensioners dont mount to your bottom end. IMO sell the 8v bottom end as a rebuit/low mileage concern & use the complete engine from a 16v donor car. far more sensible & should halp you avoid the inevitable issues when you come to start a hybrid engine. (& it wont go)

MC
29-09-08, 02:21 PM
The blocks are effectively the same. Cp's 1.4 16v was Jim's old SR block. He used it so that it was an original Nova block which helps in various hill climb comps.

You will have to source so much stuff (tensioners etc as Craig mentioned)that it would be worthwhile getting a donor engine. Thats when you decide whether to use the engine complete or utilise your bottom end.

SKoob
29-09-08, 02:49 PM
I was intent on getting a complete engine as a donor, will the fact my block is an early E16SE with out tensioners mean I cannot fit tensioners to the block?

MC
29-09-08, 02:53 PM
The rollers are bolted to the cylinder head, as far as the tensioner goes I'm not sure, but the SR block had the casting for it.

craig green
29-09-08, 04:53 PM
I couldnt swap an early GSI (8v) belt setup onto an early GTE (8v) bottom end. Both E16SE engines.

It just doesnt make sense to chop & change heads etc. A complete 16v engine is cheap enough surely?

By the time you encounter the next hurdle, you will wish you had the 8v bottom end sat aside to sell. Also if you are going to swap the rods & pistons over, there is little point left in keeping the 8v bottom end.............

Ash
29-09-08, 07:43 PM
As CG said. Plus I might know of someone (me) who would be interested in an 8v bottom end if it's a good price :D

Adam
29-09-08, 08:22 PM
Tensioner is bolted to the oil pump

SKoob
29-09-08, 10:29 PM
I was insterested in keeping the block purely due to the work thats been done and condition its in, but for the differences would it be worth transfering the bits to a 16v block?

S1M0N
02-10-08, 05:42 PM
Sell the block and build a 16v bottom end matey!