PDA

View Full Version : Xe carb alternator issues.

John
28-09-08, 10:15 PM
Hi guys, been mocking the carbs up this weekend, and there's no way the o/s carb is gonna clear the alternator. it needs dropping quite a bit. I have the sbd/jenvey inlet manifold. Now the problem with dropping it is the fact that there's very little alternator clearance as it is, so dropping may make it foul. The other option is a front mount alt, does anyone have any gen?? Going from lee's recent post he's had one at some point, and i know karl Rowntree has on on his.
Cheers chaps.:thumb:

Geordie-Chris
29-09-08, 10:14 AM
I've used the original bottom mount on mine, took the grinder to the offending part on the alternator (likely to be a long casing bolt, of which there are plenty other ones to keep it together??) and then made a very simple tension adjuster for the belt with a bit threaded bar and rose joints, £5 at most!! I'll get some close up pics tonight if you want??

John
29-09-08, 09:04 PM
Hi Chris, yeah that'd be good, which inlet do you have? and you're running dlhas yeah? I'll get a photo of mine, so you can see what i mean.

John
29-09-08, 09:47 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/027-3.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/022-3.jpg

As you can see, it's massivly in the way, not just a case of a quick grind me thinks?

Geordie-Chris
29-09-08, 09:57 PM
Aye, your inlet is at a totally different angle to mine, mines probably an inch or so higher, my ways gonna be no good for your set up mate, sorry!!
Are you going to have any problems clearing the heater matrix pipes/speedo cable?

Find a small alternator off a car at the scrappy and make it fit on the front, shouldn't be too hard to do!

John
29-09-08, 10:00 PM
I think that's what i'll have to do. Yeah they clear the pipes and cabling fine. They can easily be moved if not lol. Might give sbd a ring too.

Adam
30-09-08, 05:27 PM
Aye, your inlet is at a totally different angle to mine, mines probably an inch or so higher, Thats a fix i mentioned straight away at the weekend when i saw the inlet. lol
John, it seems the latest Jenvey type inlet you have sits lower down for some reason?

Mint FRST
30-09-08, 06:22 PM
Or its for a rear drive application?

Assume by using this manifold they want you to use their alternator bracket?

General Baxter
30-09-08, 06:30 PM
john this was my old 8v cav, it had a modified 16v inlet, and if yoy notice the manifolds a 45 degree angle

it ran fine untill it set on fire lol
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/carphotos044.jpg

Adam
30-09-08, 06:31 PM
Well that wouldn't run very well lol lol
Dellortos/Webers have to sit perfectly flat

Will F
30-09-08, 06:58 PM
John a good alt to use is a Bosch 90 amp alt (with the internal fan) from a small block 1.6 16v etc... you can swap the pulley over and you are away!

Thats what I am using. Looks and performs much better than the older rubbish! ;)

John
01-10-08, 09:59 PM
Will is your alternator in the oe position, or front mount?

Will F
02-10-08, 07:55 PM
Will is your alternator in the oe position, or front mount?

OE matey - I have only ever seen it on the front once and that was on Chris T's old smoker...

Its a massive ball ache iirc!