PDA

View Full Version : stalling!

ade
23-10-02, 10:46 PM
:o I'm alarmed :o

I drive 50 miles round trip a day too and from work 40 of these miles are on the motorway - averaging about 70-90 depending on traffic.

My engine was running a little rough last week - got the timing adjusted (had been retarded too much), carb reset and she ran sweet. It then went a little cold over the last few days and my engines DOESNT LIKE IT :evil:

Basically - when I come off the motorway - cars nicve n warm, engine temp gauge sitting lower than usual about 1./2 way between blue line and 1st line (usually sits just above it) and I come to my 1st set of traffic lights (about 2 miles afterr motorway doing average 40mph), as I come to slow down the engine just cuts out and the dash lights up. I have to basically start the car and dip the accelerator - it'll judder for a bit and then settle normal revs.

The carb is still squeels at me when I depress the accelerator after pulling away/changing gear but only for a very short time.

Anyone know why my engine cuts out? The engine note takes a real dive and judders like its going to stall, usually when I dip the clutch to change down. Is the outside temp causing probs or does my carb need cleaning?

Carbs less than 12 months old - 1.2 mk2 K&N fitted.

Ade

mmollart
23-10-02, 11:40 PM
thats caused by the carb freezing up because of the cold weather, i had the same problem last year. really theres only one way to cure it, if you still have the o.e airbox then put it back on just for the winter. its a common problem with a k&n on carbs. mine was so bad, if i dipped the clutch at any speed it would just die. k&n used to make a hot air kit to cure this, dont think they make them anymore though. if you havent got the standard airbox, you could get some ally pipe from halfords & run it from the hole on the top of the manifold to the filter, then block off the front of the filter (with card?) just leaving the back of the k&n open & the pipe going to the front of it. think the pipe is 60mm that you need to fit the manifold.
cheers
mark

Dicko
24-10-02, 12:22 AM
ye cud be icing up, so when ur on motorway its using both carb chokes, when your at the lights on idle its only bleeding air in off the 1 that is blocked with ice!!

only conclusion i can come to with what you have said. usually cuases probs on motorway aswell. when you try to boot it, or sudenly runs lumpy!

ade
24-10-02, 12:43 AM
I modded my old air box so the front of it (the inlet feed with the butterfly spring in it) was still on the car and 2 hoses ran from the top of it to the k&n - I had a prob with the air being to warm and causing the car to stall when I just used the hoses (not cold/sense) - this worked but I took it back off coz it was too warm. I'll prob have to put it back on.

May just trry the card method though - the other way took too long to set up

Ade
:|

novax
24-10-02, 10:31 PM
Ade, hope you get it sorted. Both my project cars have been injected and am reading a book all about them, now I can see why they don't use carbs anymore. Still these threads are interesting reading.