PDA

View Full Version : people with 17's please read

Ric 16v
23-10-02, 06:20 PM
did u need to widen ur arches to fit 17's ??? coz I'm wanting 17's but I DON'T want to widen my arches !!!! all I need is my arches rolled isn't it ???? cheers

Breeny
23-10-02, 07:49 PM
Rolled no, remove lips all round. My 18's went on with virtually same arch mods as 17's :)

?Marty?
24-10-02, 01:23 AM
Front: rolled.

Rear: cut back, and re-sealed/painted.

That's with 7 by 17's, with 205/40/17 rubber and in a 45mm offset.

I'm gonna stick some 18's on now. I think. There's loads of 18's in 7" width now, and it looks like it won't really need any more work than i have already had done to get the 17's on.

olly55
24-10-02, 11:53 AM
i tooam goin to b fitting a set of 18s to mine iv had the rear lips taken off with a grinder,
wat shall i do 4 the fornts? shall i get em rolled or jus grind the fukkers off?

marty im findign all 18s r 7.5 x 18s, which 18s do u kno of that r 7 in wide? and rouhgyl how muh rthey? iv found sum 18 inch kahn look alikes 4 600 squid!!

adeyprude
24-10-02, 12:41 PM
you might ge a bit of rubbing on the friont arches. i have flaired all 4 arches and it looks wicked now. can fit upto a 19 and thats proven.
gone for 18s though because the width is better.

just cut the return lip on all 4 and re-weld the inner arch to the outer and respray the whole lot. job done and a rimmed up nova on the way out the door. :lol:

Ric 16v
24-10-02, 03:47 PM
so all I would have 2 do is cut the lip of all 4 arches ????? what about the inner arch, my current wheels are 6.5" wide and are nearly rubbing what would I have to do about the inner arch ???? cheers

adeyprude
24-10-02, 03:51 PM
KNOCK IT OUT WITH AND THEN WELD THIS TO THE INSIDE OF THE OUTER AND THIS WILL GIVE YOU LOADS OF CLEARANCE FOR A WIDER WHEEL
:wink: :idea: :wink: :idea: :wink: :idea: :wink:

Ric 16v
24-10-02, 04:57 PM
sorry, but that doesn't make sense !!!!!!

jon_boy
24-10-02, 05:12 PM
ah you guys seem the people to talk to. i just got some 17 by 8 inch wheels. i have a wide arch kit on the way. hopw much will i be able to now lwoer my car? there will be no bk seats so not much weight. cheers for any help.

Nova90
24-10-02, 05:57 PM
I've gotta a set of 17" Miglia Evo rims lowered 40mm at the back. All I've done is grind the lip back a little so there's still 5mm left on the arch. I can't hav any1 in the back. Is it o.k to take the whole lip off then & slam it 60mm??

Breeny
24-10-02, 07:15 PM
Mine is lowered 60mm, to get the 17's on i had the front wing lips folded up and the rear arch lips completely cut off and welded back up. The inner arches of the rear needed to be tapped back slightly in certain places.

Just bear in mind it will still rub at the front like this so you cant drive like a loon.

There are ways of getting them not to rub at all and this means physically cutting up the front wings (I did them 25mm and i have no rubbing at all on the 18's now)

olly55
25-10-02, 10:55 AM
breeny wat exactly did u cut up? im after sum 7x18 wheels 4 mine, wat rubber u using and how much did urs set u bak i got about 850 - 900 2 spend

adeyprude
25-10-02, 01:51 PM
In reply to sri 16v.
I meant you have to cut off the return lip (i.e. the lip under the curve of the arch), and knock the arches out from the back to give more room. then do the same with the inner arch so that they meet up again. Weld them together, stick some tiger seal on top of the weld and this means you now have wider arches that are strong and sealed so no water will be able to get in there and rust the buggers.

As for the fronts. Roll the return lip back on itself and weld it to the inside of the wing. Seal it the same just to be safe. You might still get some rubbing from this if you are braking hard on a bend or roundabout but drive carefully and it will be fine.

My car is lowered 60mm and doesnt rub when I'm being careful.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

?Marty?
26-10-02, 12:36 AM
Olly - Mille Miglia HT3's, TechnoMag's, Dare, Kosei... just a few wheels that you can get in 7 by 18 fitment.

They all cost ?1,000 or below.

The fronts will need to be flared out slightly. A bodyshop would do this for around ?80 to ?180 for both front arches.

It also depends on what kind of suspension you're running, and how low it is.

Paul
03-11-02, 06:32 PM
wot kind of price should i expect to pay a bodyshop to get 7x17's on my Nova. Its standard. i want it lowered 60mm all round too!! Ne ideas????????

jon_boy
03-11-02, 07:17 PM
thing is i got 17's (dunno wot width got em off a friend who just said they'll fit) and wen i tried one on the rear the arch actually hit the tire about an inch into it. so i think you may have to do more than just grind the lip. but then maybe a just have wheel that r too wide?

apples
03-11-02, 09:36 PM
mines lowered 60mm all round with 17" imolas and never rubs, even with people in the back.
my rear arches were rotten so i put the wheels on and cut the arch around the wheel leaving plenty of clearance,seam welded the two skins together then dressed up the outside with an arch repair panel welded on clearing the wheel. the fronts took a bit more fettling, first i folded the lip in and rolled the arch out but this wasnt enuff to clear the wheel properly. so i ended up stretching the metal by means of panel beating it clear then using a thin spread of filler to neaten the whole thing up.

olly55
04-11-02, 10:19 AM
marty m8 ib jus about to order sum mille migla HT3 alloys in 7x18

only cost me 800 squid inc rubber postage and loking nuts!!!!

had the rear lips cut off and im gettin the fronts modded next week then il ldo the inners, should b 18d up in 2 weeks!

?Marty?
05-11-02, 12:14 AM
Nice one Olly! I think them wheels are fuuuckin' well good! And they seem to look even bigger than they are too.

Was going to get some myself, but my mate's got them on his Punto. I paid ?810 for my 17's (though that was a year ago)!!

The price is very good too (most of them seem to be coming down now), though the Techno Mags are still around a grand at most places. Though they're very common (in an 18" fitment) now too.