PDA

View Full Version : Nova turbo driving hub trouble?

krobinson
26-09-08, 07:37 PM
I had some trouble with my Nova when I adjusted the brake pedal too far, so the brakes were descretely "always on", this caused two incidents of violent brake binding to the nearside wheel. The heat must have got too much and it felt like the wheel was going to fall off and it was pulling to that side.

I've since sorted the brakes and it hasnt happened since :beer: - However, ever since there has been a wobble to that side (steering wheel shakes a little) So tonight I started to investigate.

I jacked the car up, and put it in drive. The nearside wheel wobbled in and out like it was bent. I promptly tried the same wheel on the back and it ran true (no wobble)

I thought it must be the disc, so again, this wobbled in and out, but when I removed it and put it on a true flat surface it was fine.

Lastly I checked my LMF machined driving hub, and it also wobbled in and out, obviously a tiny tiny amount, but this movement gets made larger towards the edge of the wheel when fitted.

My question is, has anyone ever had one of these hub's bend before? Would the heat have caused this?

The bearing is still tight and there doesnt seem to be any movement in it, just the outer edge of the hub moves whilst its turning.

The hub still looks as new and has only done 250 miles, would it be worth asking for a replacement?

Keith

Edit: here is the hub in question - http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/store/cart.php

Rick Draper
26-09-08, 07:40 PM
Hmm, could be the heat but then again i would be supprised if it had caused a hub to bend and not damaged or warped the disk

krobinson
26-09-08, 07:49 PM
Hmm, could be the heat but then again i would be supprised if it had caused a hub to bend and not damaged or warped the disk

Thats what I can't understand either.

Pistol Pete
26-09-08, 08:06 PM
Not 100% sure how the hubs assemble, but could the hub have moved inside the bearing? Maybe measure between the back of the hub and another surface? Just an idea.

krobinson
26-09-08, 08:19 PM
I'm going to press out the hub tomorrow and try another bearing. I'm also going to swap the disc from the drivers side to the passanger side to check if thats the cause.

Keith

ck
27-09-08, 01:35 AM
it could be a possibility that the LMF hub has not been machined true. i'd get the hub pressed out and before getting a new bearing pressed in i woudl get the hub spun in a lathe to check that it has been machined straight.

krobinson
27-09-08, 10:54 AM
it could be a possibility that the LMF hub has not been machined true. i'd get the hub pressed out and before getting a new bearing pressed in i woudl get the hub spun in a lathe to check that it has been machined straight.

I'm sure it has, there was no wobble etc when it was first fitted. Only after the brake on that side binded and cause the brake disc to heat and pull the steering wheel from my hand.

krobinson
27-09-08, 12:12 PM
I've had another good look today, tried the wheel direct to the hub and it was fine. I then tried it with the disc on and it wobbles. So its definatly the disc, I've tested the actual flat face hub section of the disc and its bent like a banana!! Dont now how the hell I missed that!!

Pair of discs now ordered.

Keith