PDA

View Full Version : Guess the problem

Rexy
26-09-08, 07:40 AM
Went looking at an Xe last night for the nova, Anyways It turns out the engine is missing on cylinder one, Plug is Blacker than the ace of spades, I've not had chance to drive it yet like but he insits its always been like this lol.

Anyways, I'm thinking its a Bent valve or maybe the timing is out as the engine runs very very lumpy and rough.

My thoughts with the engine are to whip the head off and get 16 new valve, valve stem seals etc etc as the bottom ends are usually bullet proof

On that note im not 100% sure what the engine is worth now, Im guessing £180 off the asking price as its £180 to get it skimmed, tested and new valves etc well around that anyways.

Any thoughts?

loggyboy
26-09-08, 07:42 AM
hes blown your ring....

get a compresion test done.

Rexy
26-09-08, 07:46 AM
going back up on saturday and i'll be taking a compression tester, He said its been tested and it was fine tho lol...

I'll check the timing, comp test it and drive it as well... Its a Track nova beast so i just think hes been driving it properly and dropped down a gear too quickly and done a valve. Who knows im a body lad not an engine monkey :D

Lee
26-09-08, 09:13 AM
Of course it might just be a very old set of plugs and that one is now giving up. Or the lead has been breaking down for some time. Or the injector might be sticky.

But your right, allow for worst case scenario :)

Rick Draper
26-09-08, 10:42 AM
Or the roter arm might not be in the best of health.

ck
26-09-08, 05:00 PM
if the problem cant be sourced then i would class it as an engine for spares and worth £50. i've bought several xe's complete with everything (ecu/loom/box ect) for £50 due to porous heads or due to not knowing if they actualy run lol.

on a good one i pay £150 complete with everything, sometimes i come across coscast ones same prie of £150 but sometimes the looms are cut.

hope this helps as a guide.

1st thing would be to compression test the engine, and check the cam belt timing marks all line up. try a diagnostics aswell to see if the ecu see's an electrical fault. if all shows up fine then it could be a clogged injector/faulty ht lead ect.

would be esiest to buy a second hand good head tbh, i wouldnt mess around getting new valves put in ect (if it were to do with the head) i would replace the single valve or just buy a S/H head. or is this just so you can knock him down alot more lol

Adam
26-09-08, 05:05 PM
Compression tester and check for a spark on the cyl its missing on

Rexy
27-09-08, 08:31 AM
cheers Boyo's :D I'll Give it a good going over today.