PDA

View Full Version : mot...

xxspudxx
25-09-08, 11:24 PM
Any MOT testers on here?

My car is being bit strange and when turn fog light on the reverse light bulb lights up, so question is for MOT purposes, does the lense have to be red or will a red bulb be enough and does it matter what side of car fog light is on?

ade
25-09-08, 11:28 PM
check dvla website. 99% sure it needs to have a functioning fog light if it's fitted with one and I'm sure its got to be on the outside (offside) of the car unless it's centralised. Just check the wires - probably just crossed over.

Rich
25-09-08, 11:45 PM
take reverse light bulb out so only the fog on the drivers side lights up. Cant fail for no reverse light

Iain
25-09-08, 11:45 PM
The fog needs to be in the middle or right of the car.

For a quick MOT bodge, just cut and swap the reverse and fog wires next to the rear lights.

Ben
26-09-08, 12:08 AM
take reverse light bulb out so only the fog on the drivers side lights up. Cant fail for no reverse light

Thats what id be doing.

fjc
26-09-08, 12:14 AM
why not just fix the problem!!!!! then you wont need to start taking bulbs out here and there ....................

xxspudxx
26-09-08, 01:03 AM
why not just fix the problem!!!!! then you wont need to start taking bulbs out here and there ....................

why spend time trying to fix something im never going to use when i can just bodge it to get through mot and then take off again if needed? My car aint no mint show car, built it so i can race the tits off it and have some fun. was thinking of chopping wires up and moving across but still cant get my head round why it does it

calibra-keith
26-09-08, 01:31 AM
Well i help MOT and i know many testers (some stricked some dodgy) and most will agree that if it looks well cared-for (and not bodged), the tester may be more likely to pass a borderline component. plus it can come down to the person who does your MOT, at the end of the day its easyer to sort a small problem like that and at no/very little cost so if your going to use it or not its still worth just sorting it :thumb:

Jack
26-09-08, 09:31 AM
Fog light MUST be red.
Fog light MUST be either in the middle, or off side, of the car.

Reverse light is not required for MOT.

So, if your reverse light (i.e. near side white) lamp comes on when you turn the foglamp switch on, thats a fail. You need to either bodge in a standalone lamp, or fix the existing wiring. If its a road car, I'd want to keep the foglamp working - there's a reason why it needs to work for the MOT!

Ben
26-09-08, 11:37 AM
Its normally the earth wire that screwed to the rear panel.

7ova
28-09-08, 06:51 PM
jack is correct in what he is saying!

but you also need a warning light to come on
to tell the driver when the fog lamp is on.
ie the fog lamp switch lights up or a light in the clocks :thumb:

Saloony
28-09-08, 07:05 PM
Ive only just read this, and do you want to hear the funniest thing, it wont fail. Firstly, the only fog light test is one fitted from centre of vehicle through to the o/s. So n/s isnt tested. What about the white light to rear i hear you say, well, reverse light is not a testable item, also unless a white light is shown by indicator, stoplamp, postion lamp or o/s fog lamp its not a fail. The only thing you get humpy about is whether when switched on does it adversely effect any other lamps, but were the reverse isnt testable it doesnt. Take the bulb out for now and then investigate after the test, may have other failable items that need addressing.