PDA

View Full Version : Service

jamesdarlington
23-10-02, 02:24 AM
Hi all, i have a 1.4 sr mk2 and have been taking it all over my area to try and get the cheapest service that i can cos cash is a bit tight right now and the car is more than due for a service. The cheapest quote i got was ?65 and thats a bit to pricy for me, by about ?65, na jus kiddin but its still too pricy and jus want to know if anyone can tell me how to do my own service or where there is a guide. Im not a complete spaz so i would b able to do it myself if only i knew how lol. Any help cheers lads

mikeoxford
23-10-02, 08:27 AM
isnt general servicing and mot preperation part of the haynes manaual???

Jim
23-10-02, 10:21 AM
Yep Mike it is. Also, James, ?65 is a good price for a full service.

Jim

Alex
23-10-02, 11:17 AM
?65 is a good price, but what does it include? does it include cam belt?

ade
23-10-02, 11:32 AM
nope - cam belt alone will prob set you back ?50 to change - providing theres no probs with water pump being knocked out of keilter (can happen causing it to leak!).

General service will be drain and change oil, change air filter (unless you have K&N in which case you clean it yerself with special cleaning fluid), change spark plugs, change oil filter - also test, drain and change coolant in the engine and top up yer screen wash reservior

Most garages give the car a once over aswell which usually includes brakes, rubber gaiters (check theyre ok), check tming, cam belt for wear and dizzy cap/rotor for wear and bulbs/lights etc. They may even top up yer brake reservoir and will more than likely bring to yewr attention any dodgy areas.

?65 is good - you can do it yerself for about ?35 - haynes gives full details on what to do.

Ade

jamesdarlington
23-10-02, 05:03 PM
thanks a lot lads thats all i needed to know. nice one :P