PDA

View Full Version : rad fan not cutting in

jimbob-mcgrew
24-09-08, 05:35 PM
a while back i took out the switch and the wiring for the heater assembly and heated rear screen.. would this have anything to do with the fact that its not working ? whats the easiest way to test im getting power to the fan ? let the engine overheat and test for voltage ?

pikey1986
24-09-08, 05:53 PM
ive got this problem bugs the hell out of me and my car isnt even on the road yet

djshaggeh
24-09-08, 06:27 PM
Taf I think I have the same problem - when I lost my keys and I wired in the switch panel it stopped working (this was when it was 1400)

IIRC you can buy pass the switch that turns it on when its hot with a small piece of wire.

jimbob-mcgrew
24-09-08, 06:30 PM
hmmm.. youve given me an idea, ill send direct juice to it, to check the fans not dead, then ill do a bit of tracking back to see if i find any probs,, but i aint gonna track back too hard, if i dont find anything ill rig up a manual switch, not ideal, but fcukit, ive had enuff of fannying about with wires.

jimbob-mcgrew
25-09-08, 08:35 PM
ok, put direct feed into the fan and it spins up good, tracked the wires back to the rad switch, no power going to there, earth is ok tho, after a few tries following the dead wire, which led me to the horn again and again, which cant be right ? i followed the wire back to the fusebox, looked like no. 9 but i dont remember, none of the fuses are blown, wtf. any help thanks.

loggyboy
25-09-08, 09:26 PM
with the ign on, if you bridge the two connectors on the rad temp sensor switch (on left side of rad when looking from front of car) does the fan kick in? if it does then its that sensor thats knackered.

jimbob-mcgrew
25-09-08, 09:34 PM
nah tried that, not getting power to the switch.

thinkin about running a manual feed from the ignition switch with a fuse in the line, think its 20amp

loggyboy
25-09-08, 09:42 PM
my sensor broke, so i wired mine up to the ign live, it runs all the time!

jimbob-mcgrew
25-09-08, 10:11 PM
should put a switch and fuse in the line loggy, fan on all the time will be stealing a horse or so, and cost u abit more petrol.

does have its plus sides tho, means u can rag the bollox off it and not have to worry about it overheating lol

loggyboy
26-09-08, 07:43 AM
meh..

jimbob-mcgrew
26-09-08, 07:43 PM
sussed it out lads.
im sure u some of you guys that have ditched the ignition barrel and running the car on switches may have the same prob.
after multiple wire tracking and some investigating, i noticed that the accessories wire from the ignition block runs into the fuse box and provides power for the blower motor and the rad switch, but only when the keys turned to ignition does it get this power. thats why i was havvin probs, as ive removed the heater matrix and blower, and chopped the accessories wire from the circuit.
what i did was take the heated rear screen feed, which i dont have/need anymore, and re-inserted the clips into the fusebox with the rad switch fan on the other side of a 20amp fuse, sorted now. the feed is live, not ideal, but i dont think it'l do any harm. might pop the fuse if it gets too hot.
how ive got it set up im guessing if the fans running when i turn the engine off it will probably keep going, but im not too fussed, atleast it works. if i can be bothered ill re-route the feed from the ignition into the fuse box to replicate how it once was.

djshaggeh
26-09-08, 08:01 PM
Please man! Use full stops my eyes are bleeding!

jimbob-mcgrew
26-09-08, 08:37 PM
edited it for ya, as its your birthday. :D