PDA

View Full Version : Nova XE woolieness!

Adam*D
24-09-08, 01:43 PM
My car drives mint when driving "normal". If I deciede to give it the beans off the lights it just pulls me all over the road, same if accelerating in 2nd or even 3rd:eek: . Please don't think I drive like a t1t everywhere because I don't, buts lets face it thats why people build these cars:roll: . I'm not running an anti roll bar as I was told the handling is a bit more predictable. Would a strut brace help, or do I need polybushes or do they all just handle like this:confused:

craig green
24-09-08, 01:45 PM
Give us a rundown of all the suspension parts, what bushes & age condition of it all. Also what engine mounts (rubber parts) does it run?

Steve
24-09-08, 01:47 PM
That'd be torque steer, pretty normal for a light weight fwd car with a powerful engine up front.

Don't know too much about the equal drive shaft setup but thats supposed to help, as would polybushes.

MC
24-09-08, 01:47 PM
Shhhhh....... I think you have broken one of the unwritten rules of Big Block Club.....Don't speak of any downfalls of the conversion. lol

Seriously though....Have you done any welding and is the chassis sound? Braces and better bushing will help, but it does sound like it might be torque steer.

Adam*D
24-09-08, 01:59 PM
Bay has been fully stitch welded and is strong as fook:thumb: There is NO rust anywhere in the bay, or the rest of the car for that matter (apart from bottom of drivers door) Engine mounts are just standard suspension struts are koni with spax springs.

loggyboy
24-09-08, 02:19 PM
its quite normal that a high power FWD will torque steer alot, but its hard to get an idea of if yours is worse than anyone elses as its all a matter of opinion. Id start with some poly bushes from Raldes, then check all track arms and ball joints. If they are all sound then you might want to look down the route of equal length driveshafts or an ATB diff.

Edd
24-09-08, 02:29 PM
Spax springs (small-block spec) with a big block valver. Thats not so clever.

Are the mounts sound? Mine used to torque steer to the extent of switching lanes on a dual carriageway until I noticed the drivers side mount was literally pulling away from its surround.

I am sure its something at fault & not simply torque steer.

loggyboy
24-09-08, 02:32 PM
Uprated eng mounts is a another good call, if you cant be ****d to spend £120 on comp ones, just fill your standards with a firm polyurathane sealent.

Edd
24-09-08, 02:34 PM
It helps if the std mounts still have some life left in them however.

The amount of times I've seen knackered bushes on Novas & the wheels flutter about in the wheel arch when pulling away, how can you expect it to find equal traction when the wheel isnt planted in position..

BIGS
24-09-08, 02:38 PM
Do all the above as its all very cheep to replace and makes a big diffrence, but another thing to do is take all you engine mounts off inc the gearbox one and fill them with tigerseal like ive done with mine.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/2ltr/2ltrbits071.jpg

Adam
24-09-08, 07:27 PM
just standard suspension struts are koni with spax springs.
That wont be helping things. Designed to hold the weight of a 1200/1400 8v....

Go through the front end and check bushes etc for anything loose.

GRUNT 16V
24-09-08, 08:23 PM
I never had a problem with torque steer at all but i put it down to being strong as fook in the arm department!! i was running koni shocks eibach springs a strut brace h/hockley strengthening kit and lowered tie rods and poly bushes o and uprated lower arms

SKoob
24-09-08, 09:16 PM
What condition are the suspension top mounts in? My old nova used to be all over the place as these were heavily worn

loggyboy
24-09-08, 09:27 PM
Oooo one more thing. Tracking. when mines out it wanders ALL over the place

krobinson
24-09-08, 10:57 PM
I've a LET with Equal shaft setup and ATB diff.

In 3rd gear at about 12/14PSI it still drives straight.

Thats Gaz coilovers, rose jointed tie bar brackets. Polybushed arms, solid top mounts, standard front engine mounts and solid rear.

If I was you i'd start with fitting poly bush's, and do the above mod to your engine mounts, then take the car to get lined. Shouldnt cost the world but will make a big differance.

If budget can stretch get an ATB. Worth the money and always hold their value to sell on, and can also be used in an F28 if you fancy a LET later on.

Keith

Adam*D
25-09-08, 12:00 AM
That wont be helping things. Designed to hold the weight of a 1200/1400 8v....

Go through the front end and check bushes etc for anything loose.

I just put the spax springs on last weekend as it was too low. The springs I removed were propper 2.0 springs 300lbs iirc and it was exactly the same.
Pollybushes will be next on the shopping list:thumb: