PDA

View Full Version : xe16 power increase..

aaronc190
23-09-08, 09:32 PM
what would i need to get about 140bhp from xe16?

MC
23-09-08, 09:44 PM
Easy way, ITB's, or you could run carbs. Failing that, mantzel stle inlet etc..

aaronc190
23-09-08, 09:52 PM
anything else..trying to keep as cheap as possile
what would a cold feed induction kit and full exhuast inc manifold and a remap and port n polish and polished throttle body give??

ck
23-09-08, 11:50 PM
1st thing to do would be a mantzel/dbilas style inlet. best would be the dbilas, then mantzel. otherwise a cheap copy would still come very close.

then exhaust of around 2" to 2-1/2" and 4-2-1 manifold.

these would be your best bet for best HP per £.

next on the list would be either some form of aftermarket managment or a re-map. if you wanted to do more to the engine before the re-map to save a 2nd mapping cost. it would be advisable to fit ARP con-rod bolts to allow the RPM limit be raised to around the 7500rpm mark.

you could go for some fast road cams and head work before the re-map aswell to gain that bit more.

here is 2 RR printouts. one was my old corsa, and one was a friends old corsa gsi. both were c16xe

mine had,
custom made mantzel style inlet (way better designed/flow than a real mantzel and most copys)
2-1/4" cat back system
cheap enclosed induction kit (viper copy)
piper fast road cams (bp270 256degree)
lightened balanced flywheel
de-gaused AFM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/ckallis500/Rolling%20Road/ck_rr_printout.jpg

my mates, which is now situated in Craig_Green's Nova :D
genuine mantzel powerbox
cheap enclosed filter
scorpion grp A system 2.5" cat back
de-cat
lightened balanced flywheel
10mm leads
schrick 256degree cams
degaused AFM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/ckallis500/Rolling%20Road/sm_rr_printout.jpg

both these were running standard ecu. mine was smoking its nuts off lol. bloody valve stem seals, and my mate had my de-cat fitted lol, so mine would have had that bit more in her if it was abit healthier and with a de-cat.

definatly alot more to go to be honest with head work and re-map but both cars were fast on the road.

MC
24-09-08, 07:03 AM
Ck. It's quite good to see the power gains you get from the baby XE with these mods. They are well worth doing, and I dare say with the standard throttle and management they are still very useable on the road.

Any idea how much that lot cost? Did you do the modifications gradually or all at once?

I put a second hand set of Jenvey TB's and DTA ECU on with no other modifications to speak of and got just shy of 160bhp. If you can get a second hand bargain then this is a cheap way to big bhp, BUT, it will not be as easy to live with as CK's modifications and its a big outlay all at once.

Oh and valve stem seals are a pain in the behind. I changed mine and it still smokes a bit, needs the guides and valves changing really!

draper
24-09-08, 09:18 AM
they are very impressive figures for the little motors

BIGS
24-09-08, 02:50 PM
Well chris made the mantzel style inlet himself and done a very very good job of it. was around a better design so thats cost him nothing. dont know what the rest cost but it wasnt much.

Here is a pic of his engine
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/random/DSCF0816.jpg

Pistol Pete
24-09-08, 03:21 PM
For small capacity engines, those figures are impressive!

hc coupe
24-09-08, 03:46 PM
My engine i have just bought is making around 140 bhp with the following spec:

C16xe Corsa GSI Lump
SBD Uprated Steel Rollers
Steinmetz Throttle Bodies
4-1 Custom Exhaust manifold
Custom lower alternator bracket to allow TB's to clear alternator
Ashley Compeition Exhaust System 3" Tail pipe
Ported and Polished head
Sachs Performance clutch
F16 Gearbox
Samco competition hose kit
KV85 Competition HT leads

So mine seems quite low with the mods compared to what other people are getting considering all the money spent !!

draper
24-09-08, 03:53 PM
So mine seems quite low with the mods compared to what other people are getting considering all the money spent !!

i cant wait untill one on bike carbs that someone in ashed built turns up

should produce a very good money/performance balance imo

hc coupe
24-09-08, 03:55 PM
/\/\/\/\ well i wish i've done this now.would have saved a packet:(

ck
24-09-08, 05:40 PM
i cant wait untill one on bike carbs that someone in ashed built turns up

should produce a very good money/performance balance imo
lol thats exactly what i' building for a friend, well with bike throttle bodies.

ported n polished head, pocketed pistons, arps, and sbd rollers will be the 1st spec to get up and running. then once run in the TB's will be going on along with management, then 4-2-1 manifold and a decent system. then depending on the power we'll spec some cams to give hopefully 160hp.

heres pic of my mates old mantzel'd engine (now craigs)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/ckallis500/My%20Car%20M174/corsaengine2.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/ckallis500/My%20Car%20M174/corsaengine.jpg

MC
24-09-08, 05:58 PM
I had a head start with an X16XEL, and took a fair amount of material out of the inlet ports paying attention to matching them carefully. Most inlet manifolds line up very poorly. I also used CP's 4-2-1 manifold and system from his x14xe and of course his TB's.

In fairness, most of the components you list don't generate bhp so it comes down to the porting, TB's and exhaust system. Who did your headwork and mapping? and whats the gen on the Steinmetz (sp?) bodies? Don't forget there may be some variation in the rolling roads we all use. It's all relative.

Adam
24-09-08, 07:28 PM
Mine:
'99 X16xe
Kent cams(very mild spec, around 250deg)
De-cat
2" exhaust system
Inlet box

Made 127bhp on very accurate rollers.

With the std ecu in place you wont see more than 130-135 IMHO, usually down to being stuck to a 6750 rev limit.

HCcoupe-Fitting aftermarket management, and getting it mapped, will gain your engine 20-30bhp ;)
Its being held back by the standard mapping and rev limit

hc coupe
25-09-08, 09:09 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/babyvalver/DSC03705.jpg

To be honest i have only just bought the engine,Most of the tuning was done be an owner down the line (Not the person i got the car off).

You may know more information that i do?

hc coupe
25-09-08, 10:34 AM
Adam;is there an aftermarket management system that stands out above the rest or are they all pretty much similar, mapping how much should that set me back.