PDA

View Full Version : The case of the unidentified pully wheel!

Lee
23-09-08, 09:04 PM
This is the pulley wheel on my XE which used to belong to Chris T.

Its not your normal XE pulley wheel. So much so it means a normal XE belt cover wont fit properly.

Any gen on this fecking thing? Its doing my head in. I may have to do a load of modifications to my standard cover to get it to fit, but if theres a chance theres an obscure one out there I can get my hands on, Id rather do that!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Bottlethroddy/DSC00295.jpg

trackdaynova
23-09-08, 09:06 PM
why not just put a normal one on?

Ernie
23-09-08, 09:07 PM
is it of an old massy ferg tractor...

Lee
23-09-08, 09:07 PM

'cos what the pulley mounts to is different as well!

John
23-09-08, 09:08 PM
I'm with olly.

Mike
23-09-08, 09:08 PM

Why remove prior to asking about for an obscure cambelt cover (if there is such thing) one less job is always a bonus for us lazy people lol

John
23-09-08, 09:09 PM
'cos what the pulley mounts to is different as well!

change the inner crank gear, only just a case of wipping the belt off.

John
23-09-08, 09:10 PM
does the inner crank gear have the 6 bolt holes?

Lee
23-09-08, 09:12 PM
change the inner crank gear, only just a case of wipping the belt off.

I really dont want to go there unless I have to, I know for a fact that will be a ballache of epic proportions lol

Either someone can tell me they've seen this on an XE/LET before, or im going to mod my existing cover :D

Lee
23-09-08, 09:12 PM
does the inner crank gear have the 6 bolt holes?

Nope, it only has 3, which is what makes me wonder of theres any more like it out there?

John
23-09-08, 09:15 PM
I really dont want to go there unless I have to, I know for a fact that will be a ballache of epic proportions lol

Either someone can tell me they've seen this on an XE/LET before, or im going to mod my existing cover :D

Why? it'll only be either an early or late belt? Just get it changed!lol And a 6 bolt pulley on. That way you also know the cam belt cover will deffo fit.

I changed the crank seal on the 85 in just under an hour the night before pvs!

Ernie
23-09-08, 09:16 PM
ive never seen one like this mate.

John
23-09-08, 09:16 PM
It looks french to me?

Lee
23-09-08, 09:19 PM
Why? it'll only be either an early or late belt? Just get it changed!lol And a 6 bolt pulley on. That way you also know the cam belt cover will deffo fit.

I changed the crank seal on the 85 in just under an hour the night before pvs!

You are far more patient than me john lol. As far as im concerned, its in one piece, timed up with new pulleys and a belt, and thats how its going to stay until i do a belt service at the end of next season lol

Looks like im modifying the cover lol

Lee
23-09-08, 09:19 PM
maybe it's a gay breed of pulley, like it's owner?

At least its not Titanium lol

MC
23-09-08, 09:21 PM
Chris T as in Tunniclifffffffeeeee?

If Velos had owt to do with it, its probably from a Nissan BlueBird.

When they built CP's 1.4xe, they told him they would use a standard 8v pulley and weld a Bluebird one on. Needless to say it kept falling off and leaving us either stranded down in bum bandit west country or with lost track time. I kindly pointed out their eccentricity and suggested we use one from a 1.4mpi engine. Problem solved.

Ernie
23-09-08, 09:23 PM
You chucked out two blocks the other day did you strip the pullys and bits off them first ?

~~joycey~~
23-09-08, 09:28 PM
Looks like a jaffa cake to me? lol

Lee
23-09-08, 09:29 PM
You chucked out two blocks the other day did you strip the pullys and bits off them first ?

Nope, couldn't be assed. Only just managed the effort to take my 3 remaining intruder pistons out of one of them lol

LMFAO Mark, ill bear that in mind then. Why the feck couldnt they just use an XE one???

Ernie
23-09-08, 09:31 PM
Ive got a spare block around my garage if you want me to get the pully and other bits.I think there on it.

I have a hammer it will remove most things lol.

Lee
23-09-08, 09:33 PM
ive got a spare block around my garage if you want me to get the pully and other bits.I think there on it.

That would be handy if you get 5 mins mate. Is it just a block you have, as Chris is after one iirc.

MC
23-09-08, 09:34 PM
Why the feck couldnt they just use an XE one???

Thats what happens when wierd blokes work in run down barns in the middle of the countryside! lol

Ernie
23-09-08, 09:34 PM
That would be handy if you get 5 mins mate. Is it just a block you have, as Chris is after one iirc.
Its a block with pistons.
Im going to take some bits off it for my spare engine but if he wants it he has my number ..
He helped me put it in the civic when i picked up my engine.

ck
23-09-08, 11:58 PM
your alternator doesnt happen to be in a slightly different position does it? almost as if they made that pulley so the belt is closer to the centre of the car, and moved the alternator the same for more clearance?

a possibility i suppose? lol

looks good for the bin i think tbh. i'd worry about removing that nut in the middle, its a right **** of a job to torque up properly. if not done properly you can end up with lots of bent valves, and i've known this to happen quite abit. generaly ends up with the sump off and a block of wood chocking the crank to get it torqued up enough.

Lee
24-09-08, 10:08 AM
your alternator doesnt happen to be in a slightly different position does it? almost as if they made that pulley so the belt is closer to the centre of the car, and moved the alternator the same for more clearance?

a possibility i suppose? lol

looks good for the bin i think tbh. i'd worry about removing that nut in the middle, its a right **** of a job to torque up properly. if not done properly you can end up with lots of bent valves, and i've known this to happen quite abit. generaly ends up with the sump off and a block of wood chocking the crank to get it torqued up enough.

CK, you are a legend. You made me remember that the brummie bastid was running a front mounted alternator. This must be the reason for the dodgy pulley! Lots of rep for you sir :)

Also I agree, i have an 'if it aint broke dont fix it' attitude. I think the cover will be getting modded :)

Adam
24-09-08, 07:24 PM
Ive never seen one like it before.
Definently some home-brew/workshop jobbie