PDA

View Full Version : wiper relay ?

jimbob-mcgrew
22-09-08, 08:35 PM
what does this relay control ? can i pull it out without it affecting anything ?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/photon_09/relay.jpg

Benn
22-09-08, 08:41 PM
Must be wrong, see below.

AlexW
22-09-08, 08:50 PM
Just had a look in the gold old haynes and it says its the rear wiper relay.

Benn
22-09-08, 08:55 PM
Oh, edited that then.

jimbob-mcgrew
23-09-08, 12:20 AM
theres about 5 wires coming out of the relay, but only 2 went to the wiper, nothing else on its circuit ?

loggyboy
23-09-08, 12:31 AM
Id guess at :
supply power in, power to wiper, earth, signal from wiper (to tell it to stop when it reaches rest postition), and signal from switch

jimbob-mcgrew
23-09-08, 08:06 PM
its in the bin, with all its wiring, will have to wait and see

i should have made it clearer, when i said pull it out, i meant, pull it all out, wires an all

before anyone has a go at me about the colouring, im not sure on any of the colours of the wires, i wasnt checking them, just tearing them out, im purely going by memory here.
for anyone doing this, the 4/5 wires going to the main block are:

- earth connected at centre rear of car (brown)
- wiper control wire running to the stalk switch (black/purple ?)
- washer control wire running to the same stalk switch (grey/black ?)
- i think there might have been another wire going to a relay in the main fusebox which i have no idea what it does (possibly main power feed ?) it got chopped out anyway. (thick black)

i was getting confused with a red wire, which i thought was main feed, but now ive thought about it... it was the power for the boot light, not part of the wiper relay, was accompanied by a grey wire if i remember too.

this prob wont help anyone at all, but i thought i should mention it, save some one the hassle of tearing their car apart looking for wires