View Full Version : Cheap replacement pannel

Jim Mcrae
22-09-08, 03:10 PM
Where is the cheapest place to pick up replacement pannels, or does anyone have any spare?. Im after 2 rear arches and some sills, so i can set about patching the old thing up (about blood time!) now that i have some pennies saved up.

Cheers

Southie
22-09-08, 03:13 PM
I've used these in the past :thumb:

http://bap.dominohosting.biz/bap/bapdb01.nsf/$$ViewTemplate%20for%20MakeModel!OpenForm&RestrictToCategory=VAUXHALL%20NOVA%20(4/83-3/93)

Pistol Pete
22-09-08, 03:32 PM
http://www.carpanels.co.uk/

http://www.beeversautopanels.co.uk/

..to name but a few :thumb:

auzzy-b
22-09-08, 10:36 PM
try 4 genuine.. i once fitted non-gen and the sideskirts wouldnt fit:cry:

ade
22-09-08, 10:46 PM
all after market panels need fettling. I had 2 rear 1/4's from beever auto's and they were fine. You obviously just cut them down to size depending on how much rust you have. You'll prob need to rebuild the inner arch as well.

After speaking the LeeH though on this subject we suggested welding the inner arch to the outer one but cutting the inner arch lip away so you dont have 2 bits of metal folded agaoinst each other (promoting rust) - instead weld the inner arch to the outer one about 2" up inside the arch then just have the outer skin coming down with the lip. that way all you have to worry about is undrsealing on piece of metal. Something I'll defo be doing on my next build!

Nova_Tek
22-09-08, 11:20 PM
also try sel-imperial.co.uk

AlexW
23-09-08, 12:05 AM
I found my local motor factors came up with a good price, and while on the search i found out there is a panel place that even manged to beat the motor factors.

Dod
23-09-08, 09:40 AM
Motofactors dont stock Genuine parts though and most of the crap they get in is no toughet than Tin Foil. GO with a recomended supplier for a better quality of stuff.

AlexW
23-09-08, 09:44 AM
I didnt want genuine as whatever i buy it will take effort to fit, it may be thinner but im doing everything to stop it from rusting. The OP may want genuine but imo not worth it.

Pistol Pete
23-09-08, 09:47 AM
I didnt want genuine as whatever i buy it will take effort to fit, it may be thinner but im doing everything to stop it from rusting. The OP may want genuine but imo not worth it.

Genuine FTW mate!! Fit and finish is bob on. Pattern stuff has a poor fitment and as said is tin thin! Costs much the same aswell IMO.

Dod
23-09-08, 09:49 AM
You'll regret it in no time at all mate. There are piss poor efforts out there.

AlexW
23-09-08, 09:50 AM
Why did i knew somone would say somthing like that....

Anyways, like you should know, nova's have a 5mm tollerance, for instanst the front panel, from what i know genuine ones are as hard to fit as patten.
And being thin, just use more waxoil, undersealer and paint.

And tell me that most of the users on this forum have used patten panels somewhere on there car.

Pistol Pete
23-09-08, 09:57 AM
lol if there thin use more waxoil??!! There tin thin there for the chance of them being damaged from a small knock is higher. Why spend all that money getting a paintjob then have some numpty in a carpark open their door and "dink". :thumb:

AlexW
23-09-08, 10:01 AM
lol, thats the same on anything, look at the genuine doors, takes just a tap to get them to bend in. And park out of the way if you have a new paint job.

Dod
23-09-08, 10:01 AM
Not all pattern items are bad, but the fact remains, OE is the Future.

Nova_Tek
23-09-08, 10:57 AM
I think this is some and not all suppliers tbh. My bro had an accident in his Cav SRi and he got panels from one of these online sites that have been mentined in this thread and yes the fitment of some parts i.e the wing needed some slight improvisations to get it to fit nicely but the Bonnet was heftier then the original id say its actually heavier too.

Just pot luck really.

So is it possible to get OE rear arches then?

phil lancaster
23-09-08, 08:28 PM
just use after market panels (hadrian) and take your time fitting and use a goog quality zinc primer then primer then paint then the best underbody protection wax you can get the more time and care you take fitting and finnishing off will pay dividends at the end. i have worked in pro bodyshops for a long time
phil:tard:

Jim Mcrae
23-09-08, 09:48 PM
All done, went to local auto factors got a pair of replacement arches and a full pair of sills for £72 so not bad at all. Then i got ripped of at the scrappers, £30 for a ****e wing mirror (i only wanted the glass!) a fuel cap and a poverty bumper. Oh well at least the nova is coming together :D cheers guys